Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2026

Postcard from Long Island's Sunkissed Shore

There's nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it's sent away."          Sarah Kay

For 45 years, the south shore of Long Island, New York became my family's go to happy place. My husband was a beach lover since a child. Sea air fresh like morning dew drew us to the ocean throughout the year but summer was a special season for sunkissed days of rest and renewal. I fell in love with the sea breeze, sound of the tide moving in a rhythmic pattern, and the ease of relaxing in sparkling sand. To capture the beauty of the ocean, I created the above digitized image of the Atlantic Ocean in Long Beach. A postcard was created after I captured the ocean waves rushing to shore. 

While in vacation in New York and Cap May, I felt the ocean wind luring me back to nature, I  watched the tide dance toward the shore. I paused to ask myself one question, "What opens my heart and mind to the mystic call of the sea?"

the ocean lures me
shimmering like royal jewels
in summer's sunshine
seagulls circulate
skyward landing at shore lines
watching ocean tides
sea treasures surface
rinsed by tidal water
families gather
seawaves swell with might
slow down with gentle noises
sea souvenirs surface
within the ocean
one finds the rhythm of life
rest and renewal
the ocean calls me
quiet presence free
draft ©CVarsalona, 2026
Dear Friends,
Sea waves and gushing sounds lulled me into quiet moments of deep thought. A new pathway unfolds as nature and hope nurtures my life. I realize now that my one word, restore, arrived at the beach along side me  I felt its presence. The summer of 2026 has become my turning point. Jeremiah 29:11 states,: "For I know well the plans I have in mind for you-oracle of the Lord-plans for your welfare and not for woe, so as to give you a future of hope." (Catholic New American Bible) With hope I shall move onward. - Carol
___________________________
The Poetry Sisters (LizSaraTanita,Tricia,Mary Lee)
invited #PoetryPals to write a haiku sonnet. While not ever writing one, I gave it a try using the four 3-line haiku plus a couplet of 5 syllables and 14 lines format. 

and Mona Voelkel, our host.
Mona found a wishing rock on Charlestown Beach and created a delightful poem. Join her blog to read more poetry from the Poetry Friday community.

Note: It was a busy week so my entrance is later than I wished. I will indulge in Poetry Friday reading this weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Carol, your haiku sonnet is so sensory and so lovely! I also adore the photographs! I love how beautiful it sounds read aloud, especially the "seawaves swell" and that last line!!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've been able to feel a turn this summer. One wave has broken over you, but you have risen to enjoy and celebrate the waves that follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you interspersed the photos, Carol. Your poems about the sea are always so heartfelt, and this one did not disappoint. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your touching moments there, Carol, and in the 'haiku-sonnet', too! Bravo! I remember all those times you shared going there, and loved each time, bringing the ocean I love to me! And, the blessing, "a future of hope"! Hugs across the air to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, I am breathing deeply of your "rhythm of life/rest and renewal" -- in poems and pictures, I feel your peace. The scripture you include at the end is one of my favorites... That and "Do not be afraid." xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, I love the idea of finding the rhythm of life in the ocean… water always has a happy and calming effect for me too. Beautiful haiku sonnet!

    ReplyDelete