Pages

▼

Friday, September 25, 2026

What If (Open Letter)

Today is the third day of the fall season in the Northern Hemisphere. Lady Autumn played in the rain yesterday, but the raindrops moved at a rapid rate. The Poetry Sisters invited Poetry Pals to create a poem that uses Colby Sharp's Creativity Project! Thank you, Tanita, Laura, Mary Lee, Liz, Sara, and Tricia. 

The prompt chosen is "It was all my fault." We were asked to create a poem that uses this idea, these words, or anything that this sentence makes you think of.

What If (Open Letter)

it was all my fault,
After all, it was only the 3rd day of fall.
My wish never was honored.

Would you say that the early rainstorms
running in fierce, relentless series were my doing?
Listen to my story before judging me.

I am indeed Lady Autumn!
Yet I, too, was caught in the downpour,
 with no one to shield me,
no one to wrap me in the sun's warm blanket.

Remember, throughout this shifting season,
I walk the same tangled pathways of life with you.
I meet the very same sharp challenges.

I am here to celebrate what was and is. 
So why continue to blame me
for the storms that simply cross our way?

Sincerely, Lady Autumn, fellow traveler
(draft by CVarsalona, 2026)

**************************************
With this poem in mind, I bring Padraig O Tuama's quote from Poetry Unbound: 50 Poems to Open Your World, as a reflective piece.

"A poem can be like a flame: helping us find our way,
keeping us warm." 
**************************************


Fellow travelers, let poetry fill your soul and bring you warmth on chilled days. Join the Poetry Friday community with our host, Tricia Stohr-Hunt, my patient, talented poet, educator, and Summer Swap poem for this week's Roundup. 

**************************************
Notes from Carol

I invite all the writers, artists, and poets to join me at my new Gallery of Artistic Expressions, Autumn's Ephemeral Gold Padlet, for a creative and imaginative tribute to Lady Autumn and the beauty of the majestic Autumn season. You can add your offering to the padlet here. 

Last week, I hosted Poetry Friday, and a strange happening dislodged the way Mr. Linky should have provided a visible way to showcase the writers' works. I read through most of the blog posts and still have a few more to enjoy. It is delightful to reflect on each person's perspective with poetic formats, brilliant word choice, and creative endeavors.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, what a delightful mask poem. I love Lady Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love coming to your blog for the local color surrounding the poems (even the watercolor backdrop matches the mood today, Lady Autumn). A personification of autumn remonstrating with humanity about her challenges -even as she drops a ton of rain on the third day of her reign - makes me smile. Carry on, my good woman. We'll survive.

    ReplyDelete