Friday, June 12, 2015

Spring Astonishment

When I found this quote about spring, it fit perfectly with what the intent of the newest gallery of artistic expressions, Spring's Symphony, that I am to unveil at the end of this month. 

Every spring is the only spring - a perpetual astonishment. 
Ellis Peters

This spring, while arriving late, has blossomed into a surprisingly loving entity with sweet smells, bright colors, and feelings of renewal. It is a true astonishment! I have been collecting samplings and clips of poems, sayings, and quotes to showcase spring in all its glory in my new gallery so while Jama Rattigan, the host of Poetry Friday, is unpacking and preparing blueberries, I am preparing my own spring feast today. Before I begin, I would like to thank some Poetry Friday writers, Diane Mayr, Violet Nesdoly, Matt Forrest, Margaret Simon, Laura Purdie Salas, and J. Patrick Lewis, for their offerings of poems paired with photos. In addition, I extend thanks to the many Poetry Friday friends and REFLECT WITH Me writers whose works I either have not received or are waiting in my queue. Now, on with the samplings of today. 

Let's start with Joyce Kilmer's Spring.


The air is like a butterfly

With frail blue wings,
The happy earth looks at the sky
And sings."

Here is my adaptation of Joyce Kilmer's notion of spring.







Next is Robert Browning's The Year's at the Spring.

The year's at the spring,
  And day's at the morn;
  Morning's at seven;
  The hillside's dew pearled;
  The lark's on the wing;
  The snail's on the thorn:
  God's in His heaven -
  All's right with the world!

Here is my view of what is "all right" with the world. 
(photograph of DVH Rock Creek Park in Washington, DC taken by my daughter)























Lastly, listen to e.e. cummings read his poem, In Just Spring. You can read the poem in its entirety at Poetry Foundation.






The Poetry Friday Roundup is being hosted by the ultimate "foodie literary connoisseur," Jama Rattigan. Stroll over to Jama's Alphabet Soup to have a sampling of her delectable-looking blueberry crumb bars and her literary feast for today.



Special Note: Last week, I stated that the deadline for sending in your poem and photo combination for Spring's Symphony was June 12th. That day has been extended one week so you can enjoy the spring weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment