Thursday, October 29, 2015

Beloved Citizens of Life

Beloved is an endearing word that lifts the spirit when spoken. Today on #ThankfulThursday the Spiritual Journey Thursday community led by Holly Mueller is examining the topic, He Calls You Beloved. When the tweet was sent out, I paused to reflect on who we are among the wonders of the world. Who calls us beloved, I asked? 

The word is whispered by loved ones. The wind whistles it to the world on an Indian Summer day. Brent Helming created a song, Your Beloved, that spoke to me about this loving word. It is humbling to think that we can be called beloved despite our human foibles. Listen to the words of Helming's song found at the bottom of the post. The video invited me to reflect and be immersed in the majestic images of creation but the lyrics allowed me to be swept away by the power of Helming's word choice. As a song of life, Your Beloved, lifted my spirits at the end of a long day.

The beauty of life can be seen all around us each day. Creation is a story of life unfolding with humanKIND at the center. If we are beloved then we are truly loved. In order to feel love we must understand the depth of love and how to love life and those within it. We need to develop a respect for the act of loving and choose kindness in all that we do. As citizens of the earth, it is our duty to respect the environment and all who reside in our community. Do we consciously do that on a daily basis?

Do we reflect enough on our identity in the expansive world? As life seekers, we search for whom we are in a changing world. As committed educators, we know that students struggle with their sense of identity. After reflecting and listening to Brent's song, I created this poem that is a look at who we are in the expansive universe.

Who am I?
I am a citizen of life,
a seeker of identity,
a follower of peace
on a path to truth
amidst chaotic clutter.

In the reality of 
each living day,
I am a little fish
in an expansive sea
swimming upward
and diving deep.

As an observer,
I see a world
ablaze with glory.
I praise creation.
With a humble heart,
I exalt the Creator.

From the corners of life,
I choose kindness,
respect for all created.
I, with others, walk
life's journey proud to be
a beloved citizen.
CVarsalona © 2015


Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, 
and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 
Anyone who does not love does not know God, 
because God is love.   
-1 John 4:7-8

Seek positive paths to being a beloved traveler on the road of life.

Please visit Spiritual Journey Thursday directed by Holly Mueller 
to read what others in the community feel about this week's topic, He Calls You Beloved.

No comments:

Post a Comment