Monday, February 19, 2018

Pensively Pondering


Backstory:

While creating this haiku for the 6th Annual February Poem Project started by Laura Shovan, I had pen in hand for quit a long time. The ideas swirled in my head like the colors of the unknown artist's artwork. As I pondered, thoughts flowed and spilled onto the page. My first thoughts were weak so I scratched them out. I wrote again; read the words aloud; promptly crossed them out. A draft emerged. It begged me to stay. I acquiesced and did not scratch it out. Instead, I shelved it as a rhymed draft, just in case I wanted to see my early thoughts at another time. 

Playing with words, experimenting with design, and sitting back to view the image poem is all part of my process. Sometimes, I just wait and let the piece sit while I ponder its content. 

"Ready? Not quite, should I click the send button? Whoosh, off it goes!" 

Being vulnerable is part of living the writerly life. I grow as a writer when I send out my post across social media and wait patiently for critiques to come back to me. 

Since hope is my 2018 one word, I am embracing it on this year's writing journey.  In the meantime, I will continue to pensively ponder, write, and proudly announce that my blog post, The Writer Inside, will air at #TeachWrite tomorrow, February 20, 2018. 

I offer this post to Two Writing Teachers for the Tuesday Slice of Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment