Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Bringing Back the Bonnet

When growing up, Easter Sunday was always a day for being fashionably dressed. A bonnet was an essential piece of clothing so when I had children it followed that my daughter would have a beautiful bonnet to wear for Easter each year. 

Now that my daughter has a daughter, the ladies in the family needed to find the right bonnet for Sierra's first Easter. One day last year, I found in the attic my daughter's baby coats and matching bonnets that my mother had lovingly packed away. My sister had them cleaned so we could choose one that would be just the right bonnet for Easter Sunday. 

Sierra is a wonderfully pleasant and happy baby and has the just right temperament to allow me to dress her in style. For Easter Sunday Mass at the Cathedral in Syracuse, she wore he new dress and her mother's bonnet. As a quiet, little observer of life, Sierra took in what was happening around her in church. Many parishioners stopped to comment not only on her quiet mannerisms at Mass but her stylish bonnet. 

While you may think that this bonnet was her only chapeau for the day, you would be incorrect. There were two other surprises for Sierra. My sister and I both bought the same hat for her but in different colors and I bought bunny ears that Sierra enjoyed wearing throughout the day. 


Bringing Back the Bonnet

"wearing of" 
springtime adornments 
a timeless tradition-
2018 easter joy
©CV, 2018

Sierra allowed me to bring back the tradition of the Easter bonnet. 

"In your Easter bonnet with all the frills upon it, you'll be the grandest lady in the Easter parade."



I am excited to share this piece of personal story with the Two Writing Teachers' community of writers with whom I wrote a slice a day for 31 days this past March. Happy Spring to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment