Thursday, August 2, 2018

In the Spirt of Returning

"Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go..." I used to sing that when traveling to see my Nonnie. Many years later, this song was sung when my husband drove my children to my mother's home in Syracuse. Last weekend, my grandbaby Sierra came to visit and I sang the song when she arrived. For three generations, my family has honored the tradition of coming back to the place where we grew up.

In the spirit of returning, we come HOME.
finding comfort where we as children roamed.
A spirit of love surrounds us here
as cherished memories reappear.




Families come together for many reasons. It is in the spirit of celebration that my family returned to the childhood home on Long Island, a place filled with memories. Reflecting upon that visit, I am reminded of the proverb, "Home is where the heart is." It takes hearts and hopes to create a home where our stories of strength, love, and even challenge evolve. There are many roads to cross in life but returning home offers families a place to sort and reaffirm the strength of family life where love is rooted and grows. 

This past weekend, I celebrated family coming together from Virginia and Syracuse. Even though our little grandbaby had a fever and was uncomfortable, we enjoyed each other's company and made new memories. I am grateful for the gathering of family to spend time together.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
-1Corinthians 13:7

*****************

This month's Spiritual Journey First Thursday is hosted by Patricia Weaver at Writer on a Horse. We gather together to respond to Pat's topic, "in the spirit of returning".

No comments:

Post a Comment