Thursday, February 23, 2017

Poetry Gifts

There are those thankful moments in life when you stop and reflect on the power of friendship. Writing is one way to keep in touch with friends but over the years the art of writing letters and postcards got lost in the shuffle of tweets, messaging, and text messages. Recently, notecard and postcard writing, a past practice of the 20th century world, is being revived as a non-digital way of communicating with poetry friends. Lately, I have been receiving written poetry gifts from friends through the mail. This is a delightful way to be on the receiving end of kindness.

After celebrating acts of kindness over the past weeks, I sit back to recall the poetry gifts I received that provided moments of joy.

Michelle H. Barnes sent me a copy of Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong's marvelous new Poetry Friday Power Book, Here We Go, with a personal note. Michelle said that I won the book and this pleased me so much because I have been eager to read Here We Go. I have read many reviews on it by other Poetry Friday friends, have been happily reading each of the power packs in the book, and tweeted out my excitement for receiving the book. My quick thought is: Educators, this book is a Must Have for your classrooms and a fun resource to encourage students to write poetry. 


Beside that wonderful gift and card, other Poetry Friday friends sent me poetry postcards from Jone MacCulloch's New Year #PostcardXchange.



Thanks to Linda Baie, Brenda Davis Harsham, Jone MacCulloch, Bridget Magee, Diane Mayr, and Donna Smith for their beautifully-created digital postcards and notes that brightened each day that I received one. 

The last treat arrived a few days ago from my poet friend, Laura Purdie Salas. She has written an imaginative children's book, If You Were the Moon. Keri Lewis's review was the first one I read and I was immediately intrigued. My response to Keri was "Keri, your review of Laura’s book makes science come alive with a poetic touch". You can quickly become immersed in this captivating book that lets you see the moon through the lens of science. Check out the book trailer below. Then, let the book have a prominent spot in your children's bedtime library or in your classroom's library corner.


While I believe what Carl Sandburg said about poetry, "Poetry is a packsack of invisible keepsakes", I have a visible place of honor for all of the poetry gifts I have received. Lasting memories will be stored in my heart. 

Please join me for the Poetry Friday Round-up at Karen Edmisten's site.

No comments:

Post a Comment