Friday, June 29, 2018

Watering Can Memory

"Gardening is the art that uses flowers and plants as paint, and the soil and sky as canvas." - Elizabeth Murray

With that quote in mind, I whimsically created a palette of colors to salute a summer's day. I used the apps MobileMonet and FotoJet to render an artistic touch to the photo, similar to what an artist would do when painting a still life.


"Painting is but another word for feeling." - John Constable

Creating digital art allows me to artistically express myself and use the end-products as prompts for writing poetry. I flip-flop between original photos to slightly digitized ones to digital art pieces to create an array of "painted" images to evoke different feelings and moods. Below is my first attempt at a writing a cherita, a poem that tells a story, from my latest rendering of digital art. I have been admiring the cheritas that fellow poet friends have written and today I am pleased that I moved past my comfort zone to try one.


midday heat respite

petunias perfectly posed
wait patiently

afternoon ritual
remembering childhood summers
with watering can in hand
©CV, 2018

***

Each day I use my Nonnie's watering can, thoughts of my childhood summers with my grandmother flashback to decades ago when I would playfully dance around her beautiful gardens. Each bed was filled with fragrant aromas from gorgeous flowers. When I watered the flowers they stood tall to salute the sun. This ritual brought much joy to me. My grandmother's watering can has been painted and repainted over the years to preserve it as an artifact of childhood happiness.


Poetry Friday is being hosted by Carol Wilcox today. Carol, not only is greeting the writing community with a dazzling summer blossom but is introducing the poetry of Lynn Ungar, a poet that "uses small details to share big truths".

No comments:

Post a Comment