Wednesday, September 5, 2018

My Path

Donna Smith, the host of Spiritual Journey first Thursday chose My Path as her topic for this month. She asked our writing community to ponder how the paths we've taken led us to where we are today. 

Looking back upon my life, I believe there has been an element of choice in the paths I have walked but I cannot say that every pathway has been of my choosing. In many instances, life has intersected my plans and wishes and forced me to take an alternate route. While patience is not my strong suit, I have leaned on faith and hope to guide me through the rocky roads onto a clearing. Within those clearings, I have found that "Learning to live in the present moment is part of the path of joy." (Sarah Ban Breathnach)

Walking on the road of learning
I reflect on a lesson: to
find time to live
mindfully in
the world, to uncover the
brilliance of the present,
the sparkle of a moment-
a single quest that is
accomplished in part
as I inhale the breath of
nature and the richness of the
seasons while traveling a path,
discovering the power of
one limitless word - joy!
©CV, 2017 

Did you notice that the ending word of each line of my poem led to Breathnach's words of wisdom?
***

Another inspirational quote I found to light my path:

"In the summer, the song sings itself."  - William Carlos Williams

I bask in nature's majesty
recalling the lull of ocean waves
roaring in harmony against
the dissonance of seagulls
shrieking across endless sky.
I listen in hushed silence for
summer to sing its waning song.
I linger awhile recalling whirling 
sounds spinning across pathways,
receding shorelines filled with the
echoes of frolicking children.
I listen to nature's sounds without regret.
Summer may pass on but there will be new
pathways of promise appearing ahead.

I've traveled different paths each season, 
held onto treasured moments, lingering
in their memories, for they have been
the nourishment my soul craves. 
©CV, 2017 

***

Writing is a journey similar to the pathways of life I cross. There are detours, revelations, and stops along the way. I often reach a destination and interact in ways not planned before finding a single moment in time to savor. Paths continue to curve; I meander, follow bends, and move beyond boundaries. With grace guiding me, I have learned to grow as a learner of life noticing, wondering, and recording.
***
Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
Proverbs 4:26
***
May all !our paths be filled with joy, even the rocky ones that we do not understand. 

***

No comments:

Post a Comment