Friday, September 4, 2026

Recalibrating Life Rhythms

Life takes me on a new road now as I have wished for a year-and-half since my husband passed away suddenly. During this time in which grief overtook my life, I have been out-of-rhythm with clutter all around me. Overwhelming thoughts and things-to-do followed me each day. Family and friends bolstered me as I searched for the slowdown moments and ways to restore my soul and revive my heart. Recently, I found the turning point that led me to a new road. 

It started in August with the family vacation back to Long Island and then on to Cape May. The beach environment provided time to calm down while watching the glistening waves rolling into shore. Nature's sparkles and the sun's warmth provided memories from years of summertime moments at the ocean.

Then,. on August 27, 2026, my husband's ashes were interred into a beautiful, peaceful place of rest, the columbarium niche in Arlington National Cemetery. The grounds, military chaplain, interment specialist, and the precise rhythm of diligent soldiers offered a tranquil setting. This memorable event opened my heart to a new chapter of life. For eight days since then, I have felt the spirit of hope allowing me to rest in the ocean of God's infinite love. Richard's journey has come to rest also with a serene spiritual closure.

A Life of Journeys
he brought me to seas
cuddled me in ocean waves
wrapped me in sunsets
💗
we walked the shores of life
throughout the seasons
met challenges, celebrated what was
💗
until his lifelong journey
suddenly stopped    grief entered
faith guided me
💗
he now rests with God
in pure peace for evermore 
I rest with pure faith
💗
I feel our bonds
across the ocean waves
in God I trust
draft CVarsalona, 2026

This month has reminded me that life does not have to be out-of-rhythm. September days bring a celebration of life for my adult children's and cousin's birthdays. The escalating heat of summer will transition into the cool breath of Autumn days. With hope in my heart, Nature's rhythms will ground me on my spiritual journey. I know that time will flitter on like a butterfly moving within from flower to flower in our garden.  Instead of worrying about lost time, I shall appreciate each day in a slow-down approach to life. Will this new rhythm bring me a continual, gentle peace? I hope so but in the real world of life, I know that there will be roadblocks on the journey. It's time to reclaim the rhythm of life!

************
Spiritual Journey 2026
Logo: Margaret Simon and Photo: Molly Hogan

This month, a dear friend, book lover, and writer, Ramona Behnke, is hosting the community's Spiritual Journey Thursday . Her beautiful post shares a book, The Sacred Pulse, Holy Rhythms for Overwhelmed Souls by April Fiet. I eagerly found the introduction online and dug into its thoughts. This is a must-read book for me. Thank you, Ramona.. Click here to read Ramona's post and find other sojourners ' posts.
************
Poetry Friday
Ocean on a Calm Moment (CVarsalona)

The Poetry Friday Roundup is hosted today by the creative poet and author, Patricia J. Franz. Her post, Summer Wanes, is a beautiful combination of Emily Dickinson's poem, Forever, and Patricia's Summer Ends' poem. Click here to read Patricia's and other poet's posts.

1 comment:

  1. Carol, I am so happy for you. When our rhythm is thrown off balance, it sometimes takes a bit of time for us to get back in sync with ourselves and those around us. It sounds like your trip back to Long Island was what you needed to bring you closure and peace and permission to once again find your stride. May your regained rhythm continue to bring you happiness, my friend. Bob

    ReplyDelete