Tuesday, July 24, 2018

A Summer Golden Shovel

It is summertime and who doesn't love to see the summer beaming forth with its natural beauty. In honor of summertime joy, I found a beautiful poem by John Clare to read, reread, and to create a Golden Shovel poem from one line of Clare's poem.

I Love to See the Summer Beaming Forth

I love to see the summer beaming forth
And white wool sack clouds sailing to the north
I love to see the wildf lowers come again
And mare blobs stain with gold the meadow drain
And water lilies whiten on the floods
Where reed clumps rustle like a wind shook wood
Where from her hiding place the Moor Hen pushes
And seeks her flag nest floating in bull rushes
I like the willow leaning half way o'er
The clear deep lake to stand upon its shore
I love the hay grass when the flower head swings
To summer winds and insect happy wings
That sport about the meadow the bright day
And see bright beetles in the clear lake play
****************
Lifting the line, "I love to see the summer beaming forth," I created a Golden Shovel poem where the ending word of each line represents each word of the quote.



In days of heated stillness, I
Breathe in earth's summertime love,
Gaze at azure skies with hope to
View the world with wide eyes that see
The natural beauty of life this summer,
That savor life-living moments beaming 
With peace so I may joyfully go forth.
©CV, 2018 

🌻

Today is Slice of Life Tuesday at Two Writing Teachers. Travel with me there and add a Golden Shovel poem if you would like to create one with the line I lifted from Clares' poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment