The bright, warm sunshine of September opened with memories and a new pathway. I witnessed Nature's breathtaking artistry unfolding, so I stepped away from the next household task to sit down, basking in the warm sun. My thoughts circulated, not of the clutter that remains, but of the serenity of nature's peaceful landscape. September's glory comforted me, as I hoped this sacred space did for my husband, who was transported here at the Adler Center for his last breath.
⇦ Capital Caring Health Adler Center for Caring at Van Metre Campus
I sit, pausing on this morning of 9/11, returning to more thoughts. The horrific 911 tragedy broke through the sky with angst unknown to the children and teachers in my school. A few of us circled throughout classrooms trying to keep "the calm". Parents were shocked as they entered the building. Tears fell, hearts dropped, and people grieved. On the way to work, my husband crossed the bridge from New York to New Jersey and stopped in horror. He and other travelers watched the second 911 tragedy. He could not call home or come back to our family that night. It was a blackened day into the night before I knew when I would see him again. Meanwhile, my suburban community outside of New York City grieved as 45 people fell during 911, one of whom was the mother of one of my daughter's friends.
Today, my Virginia community hosts a flag ceremony remembering those who perished. September takes me down a fallen road and a new pathway. Thinking about this horrific event and my husband's last breath, I wrote the following poem.
LEANING INTO NATURE'S BREATH Capital Caring Health Adler Center
Each month moves with its own rhythm.
I lean into nature's healing breath,
revisiting past September moments
to lessen grief's heavy weight.
I snap a photo of a sacred space
where his final breath
was swept into the wind.
A gentle calm settles here,
even as the shadow of a darker history
stretches across my mind.
Autumn glory approaches-
another season to find solace
among nature's kaleidoscope of colors,
drifting across the changing landscape.
another season to find solace
among nature's kaleidoscope of colors,
drifting across the changing landscape.
Draft - @CVarsalona 2026
⚑
A REMEMBRANCE from ROCKVILLE CENTER, NY 2019
WE REMEMBER
as the bell tolls,
names are read,
names are read,
flags unbound, waving proudly,
and heartbreaking headlines shared.
There's Still a Sadness in Hearts on 9/11.
numbered in the sky,
is our town's tradition.
Village Green is ready.
We shall remember
and wait for a
Rainbow of Possibilities.
Rainbow of Possibilities.
©CVarsalona, 2019, Rockville Centre, NY
⚑
POETRY FRIDAY
WITH our delightful host LINDA BAIE and her poem for the day
Let me tell you that life
can be hard-earned,
but still be lovely.
No matter the grief,
sometimes it comes with laughter.
We honor those still living,
also the lost,
those who gave with shadowed smiles,
walking in to help others--
Never forsaken,
remembered!
Linda Baie ©
PLEASE VISIT LINDA'S BLOG TO READ MORE OF HER THOUGHTS AND BLOGS FROM OUR COMMUNITY OF POETS.
CLICK HERE
NOTE: I am happy to host the Poetry Friday Roundup next week.
Tonight my community is hosting a 9/11 Flag Ceremony.
⚑God Bless America and its Heroes!⚑
No comments:
Post a Comment