Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Misty Morning Thoughts

The day was shrouded in gray tones. As we crossed the Verrazano Bridge, I felt as though I walked into a heavier mist of gray. Everything but the steel on the bridge was obscured so I tried to capture the grayness of the day in a photograph. I wondered about life and felt a strong urge to write. Since I could not get to my notebook fast enough, I scribbled on the back of an envelope, transformed my thoughts into a haiku, and composed this image poem. 

Sometimes it is hard to see in life. If the fog rolls in we can't see anything. Most people get caught up in life that they forget the purpose of life is to be happy.  -Frederick Lenz
The gray sky did not dampen my thoughts at all for I was on my way to see my little granddaughters. It is true happiness to be near them. I am sure that this same sense of happiness and joy I feel are also felt by other grandparents.

It's Slice of Life Tuesday at Two Writing Teachers. I join the community of slicers each week to share a small moment.

14 comments:

  1. I have not heard that quote by Frederick Lenz - I like it! Your haiku is wonderful, too. What a thick fog - you cannot see anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fog was indeed thick, Maureen. Thank you for joining me here yesterday.

      Delete
  2. Carol, love the haiku. That lady line is spot on. You are such a doting grandma. Thinking about you w/ your grandchildren brings me joy. Now go spoil them w/ us, kisses, and books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a delightful stay with my granddaughters. I am especially excited that I brought some books on going to the potty for my 2 1/2-year-old and she finally decided to give it a try. Each time I visit, I bring more books for a growing library.

      Delete
  3. Love the image of fog crouching over the skyline. We may have to search harder to find joy when things are covered in gray, but it is there if we look in the right places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. A long time ago, I learned that positivity is so important is an important component of life.

      Delete
  4. It is blurred life, love that! Sometimes the hanging grays create a beauty we could miss if we don't see it as a bit of lace over the gloom. Love your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lace over the gloom-what a beautiful response. I have to ponder that phrase, Betsy.

      Delete
  5. Love the combination of the haiku and the picture - and I know that feeling of scrawling on whatever is handy! This post is so evocative that I found myself thinking of both Carl Sandburg ("The fog comes in on little cat feet") and RW Emerson ("Nature never wears a mean appearance"). Glad you got to see your granddaughters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of Sandburg's poem as well, Amanda. Thanks for adding in RW Emerson's quote. I want to use that one in one of my gallery collections. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Grandchildren are great at burning off the fog and bringing sunshine into our lives. Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a poetic thought on grandchildren Joanne. Thanks for brightening my morning with it.

      Delete
  7. Oh, that's a joyous drive, Carol. Enjoy every precious moment in spite of the gray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, it was gray and rainy yesterday but that did not stop me from looking at the bright side of life. I think being with my granddaughters is a reason to let the light shine through. I keep thinking how important the word light is as a one word. I hope all the gray days in your life bring you joy also.

      Delete