Friday, September 30, 2022

Rudeneja

Today marks the end of September, a transition time for summer as nature's winds mingle with crisp leaves to celebrate the brilliant new season of autumn. When the Poetry Sisters decided to use Heidi Mordhorst's new poetic format, the definito, as the September challenge, I felt autumn in the air. The weather changed today as the newest hurricane forced its way from Florida northward. Autumn whooshed through Northern Virginia with heavy rains and a chill in the air. It brought with it sweater weather and the longing to snuggle in a cozy, low-lit room heated by a fire. 

My thoughts led me to create a Heidi Mordhorst's definito poem of 8-12 lines aimed at readers 8-12 years old that highlights wordplay as it demonstrates the meaning of a less common word, which always ends the poem. Here is my offering for the challenge that I will share under the hashtag #PoetryPals.

Autumnity

is not summer weather
dipped in steamy temps
nor nature tipping
its branches in sunlit glow
it is the way nature
mingles with weather-
a transitional pattern,
the feel of change
in the air-
end of September
rudeneja
©CV, September 2022


Rudeneja is weather for the soul to glow golden with... -Ella

The word, rudeneja, describes the way nature and/or the weather begin to feel like Autumn.
🍁🍂🍃🍁🍂🍃🍁🍂🍃

While it is late for a Poetry Friday entrance, I humbly offer my definition for the Poetry Sisters' September Challenge. Thank you, Tabatha Yeatts, host of the Poetry Friday Roundup this week, for adding my post to the Roundup. I look forward to reading other posts during the weekend and enjoyed Tabatha's pussy willow poem with a quick notice about her Winter Poetry Swap.

19 comments:

  1. Perfection! What a nice, crisp, rich definito. I love..."it is the way..." Yes, it is, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me. Linda. It has been a busy week-my husband came home from hip replacement and is doing well but my time is not my own. I sneaked some relaxation time this morning to enjoy reading more of my poetry friends' posts.

      Delete
  2. Your definito is right on, Carol. And thanks for teaching me a new word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we can not only swap poems but teach each other as we broaden our knowledge, Rose. I hope you enjoyed the weekend.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE learning new words and this one is just perfect for the last day of September. "The feel of change in the air" is one of my favorite things about fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricia, it looks like the Poetry Sisters and friends had fun creating definitos. Playing with words is so much fun

      Delete
  4. What a cool Lithuanian word you chose to write a definito about! Perfect for this Poetry Friday. There certainly has been a feeling of change in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabatha, the rain has started again and the temperature is at 50 degrees. That is a huge change in weather. I suppose you are having the same weather since you live in the same general area. I added my comment to your blog and apologize it is coming so late. I wrote it out but did not hit the return button.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful word--new to me! Carol, this is such a lovely, lean poem. I adore it. (Laura Purdie Salas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I am glad that you like the poem. I admit that I had to search for a while to find the right word to add to the prose piece I started with. Unfortunately, the weather turned from a beautiful crisp fall to a very, chilly damp one this weekend.

      Delete
  6. This is not only a new but delightfully expressive word for something we don't have in English--an all encompassing experience of the change to autumn! Your definito teaches the new word but also conveys the sensations of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi, for your approval of my definto. After stepping outside today, perhaps the hurricanes are affecting the lovely Autumn weather we had last week. I wonder if you also are feeling the dampness of rain and the chill of a late October early November days.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for teaching me a new word! I'll be feeling it in the weeks to come as autumn morphs into winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lee, I saw a neighbor dressed in a winter jacket as she walked the dog. Later, I stepped outside to pick up a package and fell the chill go right through me. Is Autumn playing a trick on us?

      Delete
  8. Sorry I'm so late, Carol. It was a weekend I didn't plan. . . Hope your husband did well in his surgery! I love "It is the way nature
    mingles with weather" & then your word "rudeneja" that is the meaning of it. I've written it down, will remember! Happiest of fall to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, redeneja is a beautiful name for a lovely time of year but I am hoping Mother Nature will bring back the crisp days not leave us with the really cold ones. My husband is doing remarkably well with his recovery.

      Delete
  9. A new-to-me word, and used in such an evocative way here, Carol! I love that almost indefinable feeling of detecting the shifting of seasons — "the feel of change in the air." Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your definito and especially learning a new word. Thanks for sharing your work Carol! You captured the arrival of autumn perfectly!

    ReplyDelete