Friday, November 24, 2023

#PoetryPals November Challenge-Happy Thanksgiving

"A poem is a way of capturing a moment in time and making it eternal." -Valerie Worth

Each month, the Poetry Sisters, Tanita, Laura, Mary Lee, Liz. Sara, Tricia, and Kellyoffer a new poetic challenge. This month they are writing in the style of poet, Valerie Worth, whose poems are known for their simplicity and attention to detail. She was inspired by nature and ordinary objects, as exemplified by her poem, Porches. Valerie Worth's poem (see below) is one of her "small, portable pieces of magic" that draws attention to simple items.

You can learn more about Valerie Worth and read some of her poems at Spotlight on NCTE Poets: Valerie Worth, with Lee Bennett Hopkins, a post at Renee M. LaTulippe at No Water River.

Welcome
On my gathering porch,
Ornamental decor sparkles.
A festive wreath clangs
Against the front door.
Garlands wrap around
A single silent chair.
On the patio, flowers
Explode in fashionable colors.
Fragrant herbs spill over
Vases onto clay-filled soil.
My doors open
Welcoming sunkissed gatherings.
©CVarsalona, 2023

🍂🍃🍂🍃

In Thanksgiving

After the fixings
Are prepared and
The table set,
The kitchen hums
With delight.
The turkey sizzles.
Vegetables pop
In sparkling hues.
The soft-lit house readies
To welcomes guests
Into the thankful gathering.
©CVarsalona, 2023
🍂🍃🍂🍃

On this day after Thanksgiving, I send wishes of gratitude for family, friends, and the Poetry Friday community. May our host, Ruth Hersey, be blessed as she opens her doors (here) to bring poetic goodness into the world this Thanksgiving weekend.

21 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a beautiful and delicious Thanksgiving! Happy Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to think of your porch and with the poem's inspiration, our own, Carol. I'm glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! "Rusts among friends." - so right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for always stopping by to read and comment. Thanksgiving is always a wonderful time of the year, especially since it marks when I was born so many years ago. It also reminds me of family and friends who sat at my table each year.

      Delete
    2. Birthdays on other holidays are terrific. I hope it was as special as you are!

      Delete
  3. Love that VW quotation...I copied it into my journal. And, I can see your porch filled with those pretty colors and welcoming vibe...all so lovely. You provided a perfect spin-off for the idea of porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the quote was special, Linda. You saw my porch in the summer and each season it becomes a different work of art. I am already thinking of what the scenario will be for the holiday season. Enjoy your time with family.

      Delete
  4. Your post (and home!) is warm and welcoming as always, Carol. Your line "Vegetables pop / In sparkling hues" captures a good Thanksgiving meal - it's doesn't have to be all about the bird! Hope you are having a wonderful holiday weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget, you are so right about the vegetables. I always look for recipes that will offer a dazzling touch to the table. My green and orange veggies not only sparkled but tastes delicious. Thanksgiving is always a special time for thanks and one more birthday celebration. Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  5. I love that you wrote about porches! This poem and her poem fences spoke to me. I love honing in on little things, but wanted a more expansive subject to write about. Thank you for sharing both of these poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked back on your post and realized that I read it but did not respond. Worth's "Porches" poem brings back the joy of just being in the moment. Thanks for reminding me of this and joining me here. I do love joining your Poetry Sisters' challenge.

      Delete
  6. Carol, nice poem by Valerie Worth, and I like how you wrote about your porches along with hers. I'm loving the phrases "gathering porch" and "clay-filled soil." It looks like you had a beautiful and delicious Thanksgiving dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, when I moved to VA and started gardening, the soil was full of solid clumps of clay. Can you imagine? I like to think that anyone who enters my house comes for gatherings of friends or family. May your new house in the desert be filled with joy.

      Delete
  7. Carol, these are wonderful. I love how both of your poems celebrate welcoming. Sounds like you had a delightful Thanksgiving--and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, thanks for the happy birthday wish. Spending the night of my birthday with my family at a delicious restaurant was fabulous (even thought my almost 4-year-old granddaughter fractured her collarbone while visiting her other grandparents in NJ.See you at PF.

      Delete
  8. Fragrant images come to life in your poem Carol,
    "Fragrant herbs spill over
    Vases onto clay-filled soil."
    Thanks for sharing your pop and sparkling Thanksgiving delights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle. Thanksgiving seems so long ago but it was indeed a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I feel so invited in, Carol, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look and the sound of your "porches" poem, ordinary things celebrated in such an artful way. Nice work and thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving, even your turkey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Thanksgiving weekend was filled with memories, Janice. Besides celebrating a birthday with my little grandgirls they stayed over night. Unfortunately, the almost 4 year old fractured her collabone while visiting her other grandparents in NJ for Thanksgiving. I bet that will become a major memory throughout her life. My husband, son, and I were on watch during the overnight stay to make sure she took care of her arm in the sling. Stay warm in Syracuse.

      Delete