While the photo below dates back to the 4th of July 2024, it is a symbol of my family's tradition. Each year, we watched the firework celebrations live with family and friends or on television. One year, when my children were young, we traveled to New York City for the firework display by Macy's. The area for spectators was filled with many families who all had just enough space for four people. While the firework display was magnificent, we felt cramped.
Years that followed were enjoyed in our hometown where we felt more comfortable. The famous Grucci Firework Company on Long Island, always displayed a magnificent show. The symphony orchestra always played on the bandstand, and families gathered in picnic style. Each celebration was held on a separate day than the 4th of July. This allowed our family and others to watch the Macy's celebration on Independence Day.
family gathers
America celebrates
freedom sparkles rise
©CVarsalona, 2026, photo from 2024
dazzling fireworks
dart into evening sky
pop, whizz, sizzle
like popcorn kernels bursting
showstopper entertainment
©CVarsalona, 2022
This year the chocolate chip cookies are colored blue with chocolate frosting and the house is decorated inside and outside.
My little grandgirls are tucked away in their lovely room in my house waiting to enjoy a pre-4th of July celebration. Tomorrow, their parents will come over for a pool day, dinner, and ice cream. The youngest two understand that the USA will have a birthday so they already started singing Happy Birthday America. My oldest grandgirl (9) informed me that she learned about the Revolutionary War that led to the birth of American independence.
"Miss Liberty, at Dawn's First Peep, Awakes the Echoes from Their Sleep"(Original Postcard from early 1900)Flag of the United States Semiquincentennial celebrationIgnite the American Spirit (for our students)Authentic voicesMake noise as theyEmbark onRoads aheadIf freedom devoteesCommit they will riseAs responsive Americans ready forNext steps:Shape outcomes withPositive approachesInspire students toReach out with concernsIgnite the flameTo make more noisedraft CVarsalona, July 4th, 2025It is Poetry Friday and our host, Michelle Kogan, invites us to the Roundup. Her blog post 4th of July Justice, shares her artwork, poetry, and songs. Please click here to read Michelle's blog and other poets' blogs.


Nothing nicer than looking back at all the celebrations, Carol. I love the look of those cookies, hearing about the grand-girls, & your poem's lines: " Ignite the flame/To make more noise." How nice to have the girls there, ready to celebrate! Happy Birthday, America!
ReplyDeleteThank you for noticing my cookies. The grandgirls love to enjoy them and help with the process. I like remembering my first time learning how to back cookies with my Nonnie when I was a little girl. It's a four generation tradition. Unfortunately, our firework shows that are always a hit, had to be onTV rather thank in person due to the storm threats. Have a great summer.
DeleteYou remind me that I haven't loved fireworks as much as I did when we sat on the high school bleachers in my hometown watching the show the volunteer firemen put on, and then later, from mom's friend Evelyn's back porch near the high school with a fun spread of snacks and sweets.
ReplyDeleteMary Lee, I enjoyed your stories of you teen years. You reminded me of the Firemen's Parade and Summer Fair. They even had a hose challenge with other fire houses right on the neighborhood streets nearby.
DeleteI always love reading about your grandgirls, Carol. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Karen.Being with the family is always a treat.
DeletePopcorn kernels! Perfect words for that image. Thank you, Carol. xo
ReplyDeleteThanks, Irene. My oldest grandgirl loves the fireworks but the two younger ones don't care for the loud noises. You reminded me to write another poem about 4th of July with the little girls.
DeleteLovely memories, Carol! Thanks for sharing your patriotic thoughts and words.
ReplyDeleteRose, we all need to be as patriotic as we can to bring positive thoughts back to the USA.
DeleteYes, lovely memories. Your words fit those images so well. Happy 4th!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Cathy. Enjoy this week but hope it is not as hot and humid as here in Northern VA.
DeleteEchoing the love for that popcorn kernels imagery - perfect! Blessings to you and yours gathering to celebrate with fun and intention this weekend. You are creating lifetime memories for those precious girls. And thanks for sharing that postcard - I collect intriguing early 20th century ones, and would have bought that one for sure if I'd seen it at a thrift store or online! ;0)
ReplyDeleteRobyn, during my antiquing days, I always found the best antique postcards to showcase in my home each holiday. It was a great memory finding ones that were precious piece of ephemora.
DeleteWhat a lovely celebration you are sharing with your family and all of us, it makes me feel good! In your first pic, below it I can see Lady Liberty with joyous sparkles from your poem, thanks for sharing all Carol, happy 4th!
ReplyDeleteMichelle, fireworks with the family have always been a summer treat for our family. Last night would have marked another spectacular event if it did not rain. Miss Liberty's postcard is one of my favorite pieces of ephemera but this year I forgot to share her wonder. with the rest of my decorations.
Delete“Pop, whizz, sizzle” are great onomatopoeia to describe the sounds of fireworks. I hope you enjoyed your family.
ReplyDeleteMargaret, I have been reflecting on this poem and may bring back more memories of my firework experiences with my children and grandchildren.
DeleteWhat a bluetiful post (to borrow Cathy S's. word). Your photos are spectacular! And, I can't think of anything more fun that grandgirls singing Happy Birthday to America with homemade cookies! What a fortunate Nona you are!
ReplyDeleteLinda, red, white, and bluetiful is a delightful addition to my 4th of July vocabulary. I am making cookies now because for my PT and his colleagues who are always supportive and wonderful people. I am supposed to graduate this week. (But being alone exercising is not as fun as being in the therapy building with others.)
DeleteLove the darting firework phrase, Carol! And your acrostic is special. It captures the American Spirit well. So glad your grandgirls can spend lots of time with you. They'll remember these days fondly, I am sure!
ReplyDelete