Saturday, August 15, 2026

Looking Back on a Special Summer Day with a Midyear Pantoum

Friday, July 31st is a revered day in my home. 

On this day in 2026, I remember excitedly peeking through the doorway of the church to see my husband-to-be. "I love him so much, I blurted out to my uncle. Time passed. Each decade brought joys and challenges. Five years ago, Richard and I decided to commit to a renewal of vows at the beautiful Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Northern Virginia. Little did we know that our dream would not come to be.

Over the years, I have learned that life is fragile and uncertain as  it continues through seasons of change. I did hope for my Golden Anniversary to be a celebration of love and enjoyment, not to be spoiled by the hands of grief. Two weeks ago, my family gathered at Girasole, a countryside-garden restaurant for a celebration dinner of authentic, regional Italian cuisine. The beautiful country restaurant was the site my husband and I chose to have our anniversary dinner a few years ago. This year, I wished to have a special family gathering and my family agreed. A beautiful summer evening became the site for a quiet, private remembrance of what was in life.

It just so happened that the Poetry Friday Roundup was scheduled for July 31st. I started to write my blog post on Thursday with a thoughtful intent to join the August Challenge created by the Poetry Sisters', Tanita, Mary Lee, Laura, Tricia, and Liz.  The prompt for creating a pantoum poem was selected from Padraig O Tuama's Poetry Unbound challenge in January. Padraig introduced a Midyear Pantoum on where you are now, and where your hopes take you by the end of the year. He noted that the first step was to write eight lines that would fold into a pantoum. I always enjoy the writing of the Poetry Sisters and Poetry Pals, Michelle K Patricia F, Denise, and Margaret. who contributed to the challenge. Because of the family weekend, I never was able to submit my post so two weeks later, while on our family vacations, I pause to finish what I started.

Midyear Thoughts regarding a pattern of life changes. (Instead of eight lines, I clusted my thoughts under three ideas: the past, present, and future.)

  • How did my life move forward after April 2, 2025? For a year, I passed through seasons of change without my husband. I listened to Earth's movements, especially at night while I was alone. Throughout the first few months, sleeping was erratic. I felt broken down as tensions stormed like rainstorms. I grieved, held on to faith through the storms, and prayed in the stillness of night, noting that changes needed to unfold.
  • Where am I now? I hold on to faith and hope, like my Nonnie and Mother did during trying times. I listen for the call to mingle beyond family life, open my heart, not be frightened by the darkness of grief, and step forward to seek bereavement counseling. Tears still appear like rainstorms when I feel the loss. Coldness at night brings back memories of the past, when I had more than just a heating blanket to keep me warm. I watch the transitions of nature's seasons and write when there is time.
  • Where will this journey take me? The petals of springtime, the variations of summer sounds, and the shore melding with swooshing ocean waves are nature's way to nurture my mind, body, and spirit. I am eager to feel the soft sways of the sea bringing me to a calmer me. On the summer vacation, I will dig deeper, pausing to meditate what will come next. With two more seasons ahead, I trust that my mind, body, and spirit will feel the power of faith growing while I hold on to the hope of joyful tomorrows. Little, watchful steps is what I need and the transitions of season will help me find deeper ways to move forward.
Passing Through Seasons of Change

darkness covered the path
one life passed on
nighttime sounds began to echo
tensions rose like April storms

one life passed on
nature changed seasons
tensions rose like April storms
grief found its nesting spot

nature changed seasons
wisps of springtime air moved through
grief found its nestling spot
as sleepless nights brought prayer

wisps of springtime air moved through
slipping loneliness inside darkened spaces
sleepless nights brought prayer
summer shared joyful memories

loneliness slipped inside darkened spaces
sun's rays reached out
summer shared joyful memories
family life moves onward
Draft, CVarsalona, 2026

morning gull observes
sea-sparkling foamy tides
swooshing through life
nature's meditation time
shares sunkissed peaceful moments
Draft, CVarsalona, 2026
____________________________________________________________

Poetry Friday logo by Molly Hogan

Thank you to our wonderful Poetry Friday host, photographer/poet, Molly at Nix the Comfort Zone. Her blog shared Georgia Heard's and Irene Latham's workshop, "Words that Sing and Soar: The Joy of Words in Poetry" followed by her own poem,"Still".

15 comments:

  1. Carol, how beautiful. I can imagine tell your uncle, "I love him so much," because I was like that on my wedding day, too. Your love for Richard and the life you built together is so evident. What a lucky family to witness that and to benefit from that love. Bless you as you remember that special day and keep Richard alive in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you for spotting my delayed post. Lounging here on my last days at the beach is such a blessing. I plan on writing about this amazing experience.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is such a beautiful and loving post, and a tribute to the deep love you shared with Richard. Thank you for sharing your journey through the difficult terrain of grief. I hope your time with family, in nature and at the sea help lead you further along your journey to inner peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, I appreciate that you noted my family, nature, and the ocean bring me a sense of serenity. Inner peace sounds like a wonderful blessing from all. The journey has not ended yet. There are more challenges and joys as I continue my life walk.

      Delete
  3. Carol, thank you for sharing your grief journey with us. I"m glad you were able to return to the poem and also enjoy time with your family. Sending love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, my grief journey is still with me but in a corner. Last week's family trips to two different beaches in two different states allowed me to stick my feet in the sand without tearing. It was a blessing to be able to do so. I appreciate the love you sent me.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Carol, the story about your wedding day ... so beautiful and touching. ❤️ You share your walk through this grief with such grace and generosity. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you for the gift of words that flow from your heart. I appreciate your thoughts and understanding of my walk through grief.Faith is my lean-on-crutch that helps me move slowly.

      Delete
  5. Your post is filled with love, Carol. I can see how poetry is helping you find your way through your grief. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, you are right. Poetry is a major part of healing. Love is in the air!

      Delete
  6. Carol, I hear growth in your pantoum -- soft, slow, opening to change of the season of your life. Your family is a gift to walk with you at your pace -- to hold you, to wait with you, to move in tiny steps together. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, your gentle words in the reply makes me look forward to the seasons of my life. I cherish my family who support me and my poetry friends, like you, who fill my heart with you.

      Delete
  7. These are beautiful poems, Carol, that show how much you've reflected on your grief and growth since your husband passed away. I was very grateful to hear your words, as they updated us on your transition. Here's to more sun's rays reaching out and moving forward, but always, always remembering the gift of love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol your writing before your pantoum reads like a haibun, and then we have your moving, heartfelt poem. I’m so glad some sunshine rays found their way into your poem. Hope they continue on your path, thanks for your lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, thank you for the lovely response. I am looking for sunshine each day but even on clouldy days soaked in grayish tones, I am finding a light to walk the journey.

      Delete