Thursday, August 20, 2026

Lure of the Ocean

"At the beach, life is different. Time doesn’t move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." Sandy Gingras

Sunset Beach, Cape May, 2026

Last Sunday, my family and I drove to Long Island, New York and midweek to Cape May, New Jersey. The ocean was calling us to enjoy its seaside beaches. I was inspired by the first line of Sandy Gingras' quote and made the decision to push grief aside and let nature nurture life. Below you will discover the golden shovel poem I created with the first line of the Gingras' quote, "At the beach, life is different."

🏖

August's dog days call me to vacation at

shimmering shorelines that bring the

breath of breezy ocean winds to the beach

I walk on heated sand pondering my life

style, from a harried year and a half to what is 

needed for a pathway that is different

©CVarsalona, 2026, Golden Shovel

🏖

For fifty years, my summertime days rested on nature's shores. There was a lure about the ocean. I recalled the glorious vistas of Long Island and Cape May beaches with the sun's awakening rays and billowy clouds layering a blue-toned sky. Early on the first by-the-sea-day, the brilliance of the ocean was inviting. The beach was a calm place for rest, recovery, and renewal on summer days, so this morning, I paused to remember the golden days of past summer excursions to the beach. Memories of family vacations brought images of soft, warm sand, and seagulls swirling above rushing waves, seeming to be free and unburdened by life's challenges. Small seashells and smooth rocks road through sea foam back to the shore as tides rushed in. I heard the squeal of my grandgirls, as they searched for ocean treasures that nature offered. Their excited glee blended with the swooshing sounds of the sea from Long Beach to Cape May. It was a time to relax, reflect, and recharge!

gateway to peace
golden sunrise, rushing waves
sunkissed moments rise
©CVarsalona, 2026

Sunset at Cape May, NJ

🏖
at
Denise Krebs' Dare to Care blog.
Denise is today's Poetry Friday host who has been writing poetry and reading throughout August. The Roundup of poets and their writing begins tonight.

10 comments:

  1. Carol, beautiful. I know this is a long tradition for you and your family. What a delight to read about your grandgirls. I'm happy you got to do it again, but I'm sorry Richard couldn't be with you. Peace to you all. I love a sunrise over the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, thanks for sharing my link. I was just ready to reply again to you when I saw that you took care of that for me. Thank you for your comment. As far as Richard being in the clouds and me at his loving ocean, this set-up became a plus for me. Even though I was alone walking the beach at times, he was with me in the spirit. Being able to capture significant photos of where I was was enough to make me feel calm and happy.

      Delete
  2. What a special and fortunate tradition. That freshness at the beach is just the best. Your description of being able to push grief aside for the occasion of making new memories with these loved ones is something that I hope we all can learn to do. Definitely not deny grief it's presence...more give it presence at the right time and to give more space to joy in moments that are one of a kind. Enjoy every moment with your family and your beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you got so much out of your beach trip. I can hear the giggles of your girls. You will make it to your different path. I think you feel it coming to you. Your family and your faith will see you through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for healing time at the beach! So lovely, Carol. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember your sharing all those delightful days you had there, Carol, and am so happy you got to return, reflect, and let the ocean add to your healing! Since I've recently been to the ocean with family, love the golden shovel's truth, "life is different"! Thank you for sharing this special time with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I love "gateway to peace," Carol. Picture yourself on that path. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol, what beautiful poems! You brought us to the ocean with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beaches are a recent innovation for me, but I can see how the ocean could be a constant, calming, nourishing presence if you grew up near one. You are lucky to have so many lovely memories anchored to beach and ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "shimmering shorelines" - just beautiful, Carol! Thank you for sharing the ocean with us.

    ReplyDelete