Thursday, August 13, 2020

So In Lies Quietude

When thinking about what to write tonight my minds keeps wandering back to the beauty of the much-needed word, quietude.  

unending heat swelters
stress rises
major life move nears
quiet time calls

With the air conditioner oscillating back and forth, I listen to its swish and the beautiful, relaxing music-Peaceful Piano, Cello & Guitar Music by Soothing Relaxation, and enjoy the peaceful moments to find my balance.


Within these quiet moments, I find a nature photo by Molly Hogan at Margaret Simon's This Photo Wants To Be A Poem. Magically, my mind wanders into the marshland photo searching for some space among the flowers.  I wonder if the nearby preserve has baby osprey by now. I visualize the sea breeze calling the geese to swoop down into the marsh water and refresh themselves while splashing.  

Molly Hogan, 2020

summer breezes in
pirouetting with grace
lulling life to rest
finding sweet tranquility
within the stillness of day
©CV, 2020

May you find solace in Molly's photo and join me at her blog, Nix the Comfort Zone, where she hosts the Poetry Friday Roundup this week.  She has a new poetic form that I am unfamiliar with, a montetra poem.  Molly makes the the process of creating her poem seem effortless with her word play.  She also shares a lovely poem by our Summer Poetry Swap coordinator, Tabatha Yeats.  I slipped into Tabatha's poem with her line, "buttersoft lit morning."


Poetry Friday Friends:
With summer on beautiful Long Island estranged in many ways due to COVID-19, I am gathering my collection of image poems sent in for my Embraceable Summer Gallery.  If so inclined, please share a new image poem on the topic, Summer 2020 in the Midst of Quarantine Life,, at your blog for the September 4, 2020 Poetry Friday that I am hosting.  It will be a way to showcase the beauty of nature during trying times.   

20 comments:

  1. That is such a golden marsh pic. Molly and I had hoped to go to her marshes when I was over - but it alas, we could not. I love how summer breezes in. You've responded beautifully, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat, for stopping by. The heat continues to rise and air conditioning feels soothing. I was planning on taking a walk at the Long Island marsh but not sure if it is open. It was easier to take a virtual walk into Molly's marsh.

      Delete
  2. OOOH! Yes, I'll share a poem with an image. Thanks for the invitation. And, I love the word quietude. I'm fortunate to go into my library today. No students...but I do love the space. I'll be weeding old books. It's a very soothing activity (outside of sneezing because of dust). I'll take your word, quietude with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed your quiet time today, Linda. I am glad that you will create a new Embraceable Summer image poem for the start of September.

      Delete
  3. Your poem captures much of what I love about morning, Carol: "finding sweet tranquility/within the stillness of day." This line in your prose is also enchanting: "searching for some space among the flowers." It sounds like a title for a collection of poems or photographs or both. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Molly. I am setting up that line, Searching for Some Space Among the Flowers, and see where it takes me. Feel free to join in. I would love that.

      Delete
  4. I love thinking about the osprey in the marsh. Thank you, Carol, for the invite to share a poem and image. I'll channel your quietude and find what it might inspire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you on board with the image poem gallery, Janice. I hope quietude befriends you this weekend.

      Delete
  5. When I travel over to a nearby lake, "quietude" is found, Carol. I feel fortunate to have it so near, and from afar, love Molly's pictures always. Thanks for a lovely post this morning. Wishing you a good day wherever you land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good day wishes. I am sitting in my office clearing space for the house showing tomorrow. It is quiet and peaceful as I work, making for a delightful evening, Linda. Thank you for joining me.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for these visual journeys through your poetry and images Carol, they definitely offer a place of solace which I am happen to wander into… So much to love about your "quietude" poem and image, both so inviting. Thanks also for your poetry invite and this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quietude is illusive, but your poem gives respite. I love the phrase "pirouetting with grace". Thank you for your poetry invite...I will work on contributing something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, I love the word "quietude." A word that seems to usher itself into being. I know that "balance" is your word for this utterly unbalanced year - meaning it is more vital than ever for us to retreat in still, quiet moments, to seek peace in nature, reading, writing, music, prayer, meditation - really it is a matter of immersing and letting the peace seep in. Your poems do this - they infuse one with peace, as does Molly's photo. The tranquility they impart is very real - "lulling life to rest/finding sweet tranquility/within the stillness of day." There's such healing in good rest. And, I must work on a monotetra! I will also be thinking of an image poem for September. Thank you for that invitation and for providing this place of poetic peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post full of the beauty of nature and quietude. It's a great reminder to keep myself centered no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lee, being centered is on my agenda today as I wait patiently for the real to to call. I don’t want the dark, damp day to diminish nature’s beauty.

      Delete
  10. Carol, if I were still teaching your marsh poem would go straight into my personification mentor poems file. And since I'm not, it's going into one of my notebooks. Blessings as your move date edges ever closer. What fun lies ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, I am honored that my poem will join one of your notebooks as an entry. I thank you for your extended blessings for our move. I need to sell my house soon so the fun can start soon.

      Delete
  11. I love the word "quietude" and where your first poem lands. Yes, sometimes "quiet time calls." And the "stillness of day" is a place to find it. I love those words too. Good wishes with your major life move! And, as came up on our little comment conversation on my blog, I'm glad to be back to Poetry Friday. Thank you for the invitation for September 4 here. I hope I'll be able to be back to consider this unusual summer through poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen, for dropping by. I would love to see how you have been embracing summer during the quarantine. Stay well.

      Delete
  12. I love the image of summer pirouetting, Carol! So lovely.

    ReplyDelete