Friday, February 18, 2022

Wintering Time


It is the silence of the past
scattered in fragments
that lull wintry minds
to just be.

It is the hush of evening light
chased by chilled winds
that alter quiet paths
into sanctuaries of thought.

It is the magic of a fire
rising in reverent ways
that settles senses to rest
in winter's embrace.

Shall we find quiet in stilled shadows
where winter trees stand alone
or perhaps search for winter warmth
wrapped in time's blanket? 
©CV, 2022

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅

After Thought

Drippings from My Winter Mind

I cannot steal time
to discover my desires,
only listen to my quiescent mind
to achieve tranquility at rest.
©CV, 2022

I wrote the above poem during Laura Shovan's Annual February Poetry Project. I liked certain stanzas but upon review, I felt revisions were needed. After a night of being awakened several times by the howling wind, I felt inspired to continue to find the words to express what I felt about the topic of quiet. My revised poem addresses stanzas that needed massaging. 

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅

When Ruth Ayres sent an open invitation (no. 75: quiet) to share our stories, I took the opportunity to dive into the magic of winter's hush. Centering myself, I mulled over the Rumi quote sent by Ruth and vowed to listen to nature's pulsebeat. I am glad that I carved time this morning to listen to the howling wind to find beauty in its call.

"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear." - Rumi

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅

Below is my poetry postcard for the February Poetry Postcard exchange organized and scheduled by Jone Rush MacCulloch. I sent this card out to the ten members in my poetry postcard exchange I would like to offer this digital card to all who read my blog post today. 


Thank you for joining me in this experience of wrapping my heart in quiet.
May you find the blessings of quietude as winter transitions.

❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅❅ 


Thank you Ruth Ayres for the invitation
to SOS: Sharing Our Stories Magic in a Blog.

and

for hosting Poetry Friday this week and inviting everyone to your Online Book Launch Party for your new book, We Belong.

14 comments:

  1. Now you've had the storm which we had Wednesday. That evening it quieted down & I sad bundled up on my porch "listening" to the quiet. There is little like snow that creates that kind of experience. Hope you have sun by now. We are warming up but next week, again more cold front & snow are on the way. You know I love your poem, Carol, those "sanctuaries of thought." Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, the weather is on and off. The sun was shining so brightly but the temperature was cold. My son left the house in only a sweatshirt and knew he made a mistake. I just got back from a social at our clubhouse so I am back reading PF blogs. I still have not done today's Poetry Project prompt. Enjoy the weekend.

      Delete
  2. I adore your first poem especially, Carol. I keep rereading it and loving the gentleness of the alliteration and assonance - and the beautiful collection of thoughts. I was going to list some favourite parts - but there are too many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, I love how you spend time looking inward for the quiet. I will look to the winter trees that are like sculptures against the cold blue sky. Thanks for reminding me to be still and know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so much beauty in here, Carol. The lines

    Shall we find quiet in stilled shadows
    where winter trees stand alone

    especially drew me in. Thank you for that, for reminding me what I adore about winter! And your postcard, full of color in every lovely way, is fabulous! I saw it on someone else's blog today, and it just made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 'Winter Quiet' poem is soothing to read, Carol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The silence of the past..." What layered words. So much in your opening that is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this winter blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of wrapping our hearts in quiet - we all need moments in our lives like that. Thank you for sharing your poems and your creative process with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked it once and I like it again, and I like how "Drippings from My Winter Mind" gives me a cozy fragrant image of your mind roasting over a winter fire, letting go its poetry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your image of the fire, Heidi. It is a comforting one, especially the part about letting my poetry go. That is a thought to write about.

      Delete
  10. In the desert, our "winter quiet" doesn't last long, but quiet lasts for as long as we are willing to listen for it. Thank you for this warm glimpse into your winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy to have found this a week late. You captured the feel of a snowy winter day beautifully--I can feel the peace in my chest. Now I'm feeling nostalgic for snow here in California.

    ReplyDelete