October 1st, opened "as a beautiful, bright autumn day, with air like cider and a sky so blue you could drown in it." – (Diana Gabaldon) Trees began to change their colors with some reddish and golden hues. It was time for Lady Autumn to spread her colortones so the season could mature. She did not hurry through this transition from September to October, yet she opened her heart to couple the natural plan of seasonal movement with the Lord's plan and His gentle blessing for earth.
In mid-afternoon today, I drove through the countryside to the Capital Caring Adler Center for Caring, the hospice site where my husband passed on. I was in awe of nature's countryside scenery. The quiet of nature's still movements and the beauty of early autumn allowed me time to feel what Henry David Thoreau thought centuries ago, "Heaven is under our feet as well as over our head." It seemed apparent that Nature was not hurrying through the transition of seasons. I was to trust in the slow work of God. While not a patient person since childhood, I finally found that being in the present moment is a positive self-care choice to slow down. I trusted that my journey on the spiritual journey would bring a sense of peace. While feeling the progression of ups and downs along with perpetual in-and-out grief, I knew I needed to take a giant pause.
When arriving at the Adler Center this afternoon, I delivered the flower bouquets for patients and staff that were created by my Creekside Cares community. I then decided to pause and walk the beautiful grounds searching for the labyrinth maze my bereavement counselor told me about. The pathway and benches offered mindfulness in the moment time with the art of being calm. My son said a prayer for his father before entering the labyrinth. There was peace in the air as the birds chirped and the sun continued to send its rays to earth. In those moments of remembrance, I wished my husband could have shared the beauty of this autumn day in a setting that God had blessed, but life is what it is. I know now how vital it is to put my trust in the Lord's hand and honor His plan.
Once again, I look back to January and my one word, restore. At that time, I needed hope to restore my soul, revive my heart, and renew my life in every part. Now at this time of year, I realize it is a necessity to add trust as another goal. I need to slow down and believe that God is gradually forming a new spirit within me. I want trust to become a sacred word, so I shall lean on the Lord who is my strength and my song - Isaiah 12:2.
Today is Spiritual Journey Thursday, hosted by Patricia Franz. She asked the community to reflect upon the following prompt on trust, "Where, how are you trusting - or struggling to trust - in the slow work of God? Patricia offered us a beautiful prayer, Patient Trust by Pierre Teilhand de Chardin, SJ. I have read this prayer many times tonight. I hope you join Patricia and other writers in the community.
****************************
I incorporated Poetry Friday with my Spiritual Journey Thursday blog post because my just-for-me time is always sparse. I thank Margaret Simon for hosting the PF Roundup this week. You can find that here. Once you are in her website you may also be interested in reading Margaret's post on trust. You can find that here.

Carol, thanks for sharing your peaceful moments. Like you, I have a great deal of impatience! So this slow work is something I have to intentionally practice again and again....so much of life is about letting go. xo
ReplyDeleteCarol: Thank you for sharing your thoughts as you navigate this difficult year. I think the labyrinth gives me an image of the time and energy we spend around certain events in our lives. I hadn't thought of it that way before. It's almost like a knot in the rope. We go along the road, and then we have to stop, circle around this way and that, untangling our feelings and thoughts ... taking time... pondering God's plan for us. Thank you for this image and for the beauty you have shared. Blessings in the road ahead.
ReplyDeleteOh, Carol - Thank you for including us on a day trip that reads like a sacred journey. I slowed down to read it, and that was a gift. I'm glad you shared the post for both days/audiences. YOU are a gift to our community. Continued prayers for you as you walk through grief and beauty. xo
ReplyDeleteI think of Nature's trust that the slow turn of Earth will bring the seasonal changes in due time. The maple trusts Spring will come again. We wait and rest. Blessings dear Carol!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful description of a beautiful place, Carol. I felt calm just reading it. Your posts always feel like hugs (here's me, hugging you back).
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that you protect your "just-for-me" time. So healthy. So necessary.
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine recently lost her daughter. She died in a hospice facility, and my friend said it was more than she ever expected—caring people, beautiful setting, and peaceful. What a gift hospice is! And what a gift you are to continue to connect with them through flowers.
ReplyDeleteThank you for letting us walk with you through the beauty of nature's sounds and sights, which are so healing. Going to get a bit of "nature's golden gift" myself today:)
ReplyDelete