Thursday, February 14, 2019

Within Winter's Reach



This year, Lady Winter shared her sense of beauty with the world as she created multiple headlines. She walked the season's runway dressed in various apparels, ranging from frosted snow dustings, gray skies, dampened rains, and patterned ice, providing me with inspiration to create my own digital designs and digipoetry.


Golden Shovel Poem

I started with the strike line, The dust of snow, from Robert Frost's poem, Dust of Snow at https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/dust-snow.

Lady Winter tiptoed into the
dawn spreading frosted dust,
Pausing for wide eyes of
wonder to marvel at her artsnow.
©CV, 2019
©CV, 2019
Line Lifting 
"One must have a mind of winter" and "For the listener who listens in the snow" from Wallace Stevens' poem, The Snow Man.

One must have a mind of winter
to breath in nature's frosty breath,
whisper into the chilled wind,
and be awed by the magic of the dance
in early morning light.
For the listener who listens in the snow,
winter peace is within reach.
©CV, 2019

******************************

Tonight Jone MacCulloch is hosting the Cybils Award Party at her blog site, Check It Out. I am excited to see some author friends' names mentioned as finalists. Time to join Jone. You can access the list of Cybils winners here.


IMG_1077

img_0207

23 comments:

  1. Chilling (from here in Florida.) And also, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay well, Jan. Hope all is well in Florida. My friends just moved to Bonita Springs.

      Delete
  2. The stillness of snow in winter is something I marvel and wonder about. That you for these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jone, please send me one of your winter photos that exhibits your passion for capturing stillness for the winter gallery. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. This is such a nice variety of poems, Carol. I love the stillness of freshly fallen snow. I think that stillness makes the white even whiter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me, Alice. I do love the fresh fallen snow, too. To me, it is breathtaking glistening in the sunshine.

      Delete
  4. Oh, how lovely. I was trying to read Poetry Friday posts last night after a long and busy week and fell asleep. I'm so glad I woke up to this beauty of a post. The wonder of snow. I hope its like that for me as it is now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, so glad that you checked in with my post this morning. I thought of you this past week when I was in Reston to visit Sierra. The dusting of snow made for a beautiful morning awakening.

      Delete
  5. Lovely poems, Carol -- I needed this dose of soothing beauty this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jama, thanks for joining me this morning. I find it refreshing opening up PF friends posts in the morning. One of my Twitter friends has been sending me gorgeous nature photos to reflect upon and compose my own digital poems.

      Delete
  6. We've again had warmer weather, then the 'artsnow' is on its way to us again tomorrow. Beautiful captures of winter, Carol. Keep cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that your weather is flip flopping like here. Both my husband and I have sinus infections but we truly enjoyed our time with our little Valentine.

      Delete
  7. I am moved by each one of your offerings! The words and images are so delicate and uplifting. I enjoyed reading each one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiesha, thank you so much for your comment. It is always great to hear from my PF friends. The sun is shining bright so there is a calm before the storm here.

      Delete
  8. For the listener who listens in the snow,
    winter peace is within reach.
    So lovely! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Kimberly. The strike line was such a good one to inspire and ending to the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely postcard to winter, Carol. Winter's silence is deep, and reaches me with icy fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your line, Brenda, sounds like it could be a great opening to a tale. I told you that I was using your thoughts on story in a presentation with credit to you. I try to share some mentor texts (in this case your tree poem) with teachers to see the range of writing that they can do. It is great having poetry friends.

      Delete
  11. Lady Winter is, indeed, wearing a wide range of outfits this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Iowa friend is talking about how deep the snow is. They were off from school for several days. Winter white is a new shade there and we have graying attires here. But today the sun was shining. It was as if there was a calm before the storm.

      Delete
  12. Loved all your "Lady Winter" poems Carol and especially the second one, it made me feel less anxious about the ongoing cold, ice, and snow, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where you are is a hot spot for Lady Winter's sport, Michelle. Let me know if there are any ice crystal photos or illustrations coming from your studio this week.

      Delete