Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Love Comes Calling

Sometimes, I am oblivious to small details. I can walk into a room and not notice something even when it is in front of me. Is it that I focus on one idea and not take in the big picture or am I really unaware? 

Well, my focusing on a single to-do purpose botched my husband's surprise once again. I woke on Valentine's Day hoping for a day of peace amidst all the stress of moving and joined my husband in the kitchen. Expecting to start breakfast, I moved to the refrigerator but missed a sweet surprise.  My husband kept giving me darting looks.  Wondered why, I kept thinking what was it that was on his mind. All of sudden, I gazed toward the window and realized what I missed.


There it was, a sweet surprise of my favorites, flowers and dark chocolate The balloon was an added treat. My stunned look brought a good laugh followed by a great breakfast. 

Backstory of Chocolates and Roses

In his haste to find the right valentine moment, a grand plans was devised. On Valentine's Eve, my husband hid a bouquet of roses and chocolates in the garage, thinking that would be the safest place for his sweet treasures. Early on Valentine's Day, he woke to gather the surprise before I came downstairs. Having to go outside, he took one step off the porch, and went flying. A loud scream was heard but I thought he was calling to my son to help shovel. After no one came to his rescue, he managed to get up from the icy ground without falling again and thankful for not breaking any bones or landing on his back. Later, he recounted his story and added a heart tattoo as a visible sign of discomfort. 


We were shocked that the bruised blotch on his arm amazingly appeared in the shape of a heart. To remember his loving act for posterity, I created a heart tattoo graphic with love. How about this scenario for a reality show segment on valentine love?

love comes calling
with heart throbs and body aches
commitment
©CV, 2021

💘

I offer this short narrative for Slice of Life Tuesday at Two Writing Teachers
where writing fills the spaces of life.


March 1st starts the March 2021 Slice of Life Story Challenge.
Consider joining our community of writers for this event, SOLSC 2021.
I will be writing daily.

10 comments:

  1. So very sweet of your husband and I am so glad he was not seriously hurt. I too wonder how you could have missed the balloon :) Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the question of the day-how did I not see the balloon? Thanks for joining me here.

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet story of love and kindness. I especially enjoyed the tattoo art and accompanying poem. Glad to hear all was well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband just shared his heart-like bruise again with me with the comment that it is beginning to look more like a heart. Thanks for reading my slice.

      Delete
  3. He earned the heart shape by his actions. May it disappear quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me here, Roy. We also hope the black and blue heals soon.

      Delete
  4. Your husband is a reaL romantic, Carol. He fell for you again. (Sorry, couldn't help myself. Glad he was not hurt.) He will wear his love for you on his arm. There I go again. (Gotta stop this.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I actually liked your thoughts especially, "he fell for you again". Let's see what Richard thinks.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! Love hurts! Sorry - couldn't resist. Of course the bruise should be in the shape of a heart! A great story, Carol, full of vivid detail from the darting looks to the scream you misinterpreted. Such wit and warmth, all the way through. Hope he's feeling better and thank you for this bright spot in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, I read your response a few days ago but did not have time to respond. Love hurts! This works well for a comment.

      Delete