Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Ant Parade

This weekend, I found a question by writer, Haruki Murakami, "I wonder what ants do on rainy days?” Well, I can poetically speak to that query. 

Alarmed by an ant parade that traveled from the rainy outdoors to my beautiful kitchen, I immediately called the bug control company. I already had one invasion a couple of months ago and was not keen on seeing another group of ants parading around my countertop and up and around my toaster and coffee maker. While waiting for the pest control tech, I thought about the medium-sized and minuscule ants who chose my house to take their weekday stroll. Perhaps, they were seeking refuge from the heavy rainfall or looking for food for their colony. At any rate, I just could not have the ants munching in my kitchen while making something to eat. After researching, I found Home and Gardens answered my question before the tech came for the service call. "Ants forage for food in spring and summer months, sending out search parties that scavenge for anything they can find." 

Ant Parade

Tiny ants are out today.
Their search party leads the way
Sloshing through the rain outside,
Looking for a place to hide.

I thought it quite a sight to see
Wiggling ants parading busily,
Marching to the leaders' steps,
balancing with no missteps.

But woe was me when the tech
Intervened to stop their trek.
When bait was laid in their path,
Ants were caught and full of wrath.

But wise as ants are supposed to be
They wiggled themselves to be free.
I watched them march through the wall
to their ultimate downfall
©CVarsalona, 2023

I was when fascinated by the ant parade happening. While watching the marching search party, I kept thinking about Jack Prelutsky's Skeleton Parade poem. The good news is that the pest control tech found the ant colony outside in my rose garden and treated the area. Now I can cook and bake in my kitchen in peace. 



With an original poem and a piece of digital art, I join Two Writing Teachers for the Tuesday Slice of Life.

13 comments:

  1. What a delightful bit of humorous poetry to start my day! Marching ant parade. I am glad, though, that you got rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I am glad that you enjoyed my humor. When life is heavy, humor brings sunshine that lifts a spirit. I had fun writing this blog post, even though the happening was unnerving (especially when getting ready to cook).

      Delete
  2. Fun poem...you give Chris Van Allsburg and his Two Bad Ants book a run for their money...or food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I must admit I had fun writing this poem but being there watching the ants do their work was a real experience & not funny at the time. Crawling around my toaster and on top of the coffee machine-ugh!

      Delete
  3. Carol, I love your poem, but you might want to do some research on the benefits of ants to the ecosystem before killing them w/ pesticides. They are a nuisance in the house, so I understand wanting to get rid of them, but… You’re gonna have more creepy, crawly things in the south than in your previous home. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i thought of that, Glenda. When I saw them by the fireplace I just monitored the happening but the kitchen gave me the creeps thinking about ants in our food and drinks. Thanks for your reminder.

      Delete
    2. The above was from me. -Carol (Odd that Google does not recognize me on my own blog)

      Delete
  4. Carol, I am a big fan of parades. However, an ant parade marching through my kitchen is not one I would cheer. I love the fun and playfulness of your poem. We get an occasional ant in the house. Dustin thinks the are just fascinating to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, occasional ants are fine, The parade is amazing, especially when you see them coming in from different angles and then converging into one mass. Watching the ants parade is something I remember doing when I was little and then when my children were little. The Grands were not there for the fun but they did see the rabbit that visits my lawn and my neighbor's lawn. Have a great 4th of July weekend. I will see you at SJT next week.

      Delete
  5. We’ve had big black and small wood ants this summer. I have put a ring of of coffee grounds around the outside. Lawn loves it, mosquitoes and ants don’t. Won’t kill them - just deter them. Also cinnamon and vinegar. There are a number of natural deterrents you can find online. Good luck. Hopefully you will have to sit outside for your next ant poem!
    Donna Smith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dijoo know, dear, ants are spoken of
    in the Bible? They're gathering for the
    storm which is to come up soon... yet,
    not to fear: if youNyour family follow
    our blogOrammathon N repent every
    night, you² shall have nthn to fear as
    you wait for the Rapture, gorgeous:
    ● NOPEcantELOPE.blogspot.com ●
    Cya soon, miss adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! Dealing with ants can be such a nuisance, but with the right pest control services for ants, it's a problem that can be easily managed. Your insights on effective solutions are greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete