Tuesday, January 30, 2024

January Poetic Journal Entries

Winter winds flutter side to side with quick, light movements. They slip through the night, bringing chilling weather. Even the inside of the house feels cool. Morning wakeups are challenging. I grab layers of workout clothes and rush to various exercise programs. Just like me, January has its own routines.

Below is the continuation of a series of Elfchen poems for this year's poetic journal. You can read the initial poems that show the transition from the end of December 2023 to the beginning of January 2024 by clicking here.

brisk
winter wind
awakens the earth
January's chilled breath whispers 
Brrr!
©CVarsalona, January 2024

fog
sweeps in
like a cloud
mystifying my quiet neighborhood
otherworldly
©CVarsalona, January 2024
Photo by Derek Varsalona, January 2024

This month, two snowstorms arrived, followed by heavy rain, fog, brisk winds, and a few magical spring-like days. During these blasts of weather changes, I enjoy watching the landscape change.

Today, there is a gray sky looming above. Something is brewing. The temperature is lowering. It is time to listen to the weather report.  

Soon, the Ground Hog will make his weather prediction. Check on February 2nd if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow.


I am eager to visit the Two Writing Teachers community  tonight because before today I have not been able to find time to write a Slice of Life. For those educators who live in snowy areas, stay warm by the fireplace (like I am tonight).

9 comments:

  1. Diane Anderson (newtreemom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! This is still Diane..,
    I especially love the fog photo and poem… fog does feel mystifying and otherworldly. We had several days of heavy fog here, too, to follow up our extreme cold. We’ll see February in this week with temps in the 50’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, 50s sound downright balmy. We had 70s for a couple of days last week. What a drastic change. It is fun watching January change weather patterns. Hope to see you at Poetry Friday.

      Delete
  3. Oh very cool. I love playing with different poetic forms. The fog pic is beautiful. And, yes! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep playing with poetry. Maybe you would like to peek in or add a poem to Poetry Friday. On the 9th, I will host a Valentine Roundup. Take a peek.

      Delete
  4. Carol, it seems like we have had just about any kind of weather possible during January. I am looking forward to the sunny days predicted for the weekend. I really enjoyed your fog poem. The fog does give an otherworldly look to the surrounding area. Shades of Stephen King. Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I first used the word eerie at the ending. When I paused, I thought this is not a scene that brings fear. The magnitude of the dense fog shed light on morning's beauty. Otherwordly seemed to fit the ending better. Perhaps there are more edits to follow but for now I like the way the poem evolved.

      Delete
  5. Carol, I think Ground Hog's Day is a fun part of the time of year--winter or spring, what is coming? I like the quiet and stillness in each of your three poems. I also like staying inside by the fireplace this time of year. We have a whole week of cold rain forecast starting Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Denise. I was looking for slicer comments I missed and see you are one of them. Once again, it has been dark and but today on 3/16, it was warm enough so enjoy the outside. Tomorrow will be another one of those springlike hours.

      Delete