Thursday, May 30, 2024

Pause & Reflect on the Spiritual Journey

I have been on a journey of growth both physically and spiritually for many decades. Each decade brings a different perspective on life. It has not been a smooth journey, but I have weathered many storms with family support, faith, and hope. Today, I look backward to pause and reflect. I restyled one of Linda Mitchell's clunker exchange lines, "You listening/my face deep in shadowed spaces", to embed in the following free verse poem.

When the moon's soft light
shines through an inked sky,
I pause to reflect.
My face deep in
shadowed spaces releases
troubling thoughts to
float in celestial silence.
Are you listening?
I wait on the Lord
for guidance.
@CVarsalona, 2024


The following inspirational quote from Henri Nouwen guided me as I worked on the June prompt for the Spiritual Journey Community, thanks to our host, Karen Eastlund.

"The spiritual life is not a life before, after, or beyond our everday existense. No, the spiritual life can only be real when it is lived in the midst of pains and joys of the here and now."

A Backward Look

On January 4, 2024, I announced my one word, pause. Initially, I retraced my steps to determine how to slow down my life. From late January to February, I developed a sinus/respiratory issue. By the time April arrived, I was scheduled for hernia surgery. I tried to breathe in the essence of spring to calm my spirit. Then, several more medical findings caused more unexpected stress. Two rare hernias were found. The first surgery led to a knick in the bladder which meant a repair surgery was needed.

A simple surgery ended with a complication and an ICU stay. Shortly after the second surgery, I was moved to the medical wing where three more infections occurred. One was contagious so I was isolated. Two and a half weeks later, I was discharged with a Foley Catheter and home health care. Needless to say, I am exhausted by the experience but I realize that trust in the Lord, self-care, and a positive attitude are important.

Thank you, Karen, for offering a prompt, look into the past for something that has shaped or inspired our current spiritual practice or outlookthat lets me intentionally pause and reflect on my spiritual journey. No matter how challenging my journey  has been lately, it encourages me to: 

  1. Get stronger through walks and simple exercises.
  2. Review my past to approach everyday life with a new mindset.
  3. Continue believing in the power of God, faith, medicine, and hope.         

Below is an inspirational Bible verse that seems meant for me. 

I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. - Psalm 32:8

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about this. I went through something similar last summer with infection after a hysterectomy. I was only in the hospital 5 days. Two and a half weeks sounds like an eternity. I hear in your written voice how hard you are trying to see the positive side of things. You will find your way through, but this is a tough one. I will prayer for your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, I knew you had some health issues, but I didn’t know the extent of what happened. I am so happy that you are on the road to recovery. It is so easy to despair and give up when life throws so many obstacles in your way. However, your faith and positive energy are helping you through this trying time. I continue to offer prayers and healing thoughts for your speedy recovery. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol: I'm sorry you have had such a terrible time. Your inked sky (love it) poem asks a question we all ask at times... are you listening? Thank you for your honesty and perseverance. I pray the path ahead will be smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you for the prompt that made me ponder and for acknowledging my question. Each doctor I viisit this week takes me one step closer to recovery.

      Delete
  4. Carol, what a challenging time you've had. I'm so glad that things are improving for you. It's always a joy to be outside.. And that Psalm you shared is a beautiful one! Here's to moving forward with the power of God, faith, medicine, and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, what a difficult season you are living. I'm glad you took time to write and reflect about it. I hope you take comfort in God's love and the way your word for the year is a blessing as you submit to the pause...even though I'm sure it is not what you would ever choose for yourself. I'm praying for you, sweet friend. xo, ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you're going through all of this, Carol! I'm glad you could write a beautiful poem about it! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Carol, I am so glad to hear you are returning to health - however slow. Your resilience is incredible, no doubt anchored in the faith and courage you lean on. "Shadowed spaces" and "troubled thoughts" --yet still given up in trust, waiting on God. You are a model of faith and patience for all of us. Sending blessings for continued progress to good health!

    ReplyDelete