Friday, May 31, 2024

Spiritual Medicine

“I see poetry as spiritual medicine.”
– Mahmoud Darwish

Without a doubt, I believe in the power of prayer and medicine. After finding the above quote, I realized how much poetry has helped me soothe my soul during difficult times. Both reading and writing poetry have helped me find inner peace. While returning home from a two-and-a-half-week stay in the hospital after two surgeries, I was not only drained of energy but eager to find words to express my feelings. Because I was in isolation in the hospital, I longed for wisps of nature to bring me to an inner place of joy. I penned this draft poem during the week while sitting inside my house and looking outside.
I stare
out my window
watching the arrival
of an upcoming storm.
Winds s w a y
at rapid speed
as raindrops nestle in
between broad leaves.
Nature continues
drenching earth
from her gray sky
to verdant lawns
until showers
abrupty stop
and sunlight
s u r ro u n d s.
©CVarsalona, 2024

Studies show that reading and writing nature poetry increase feelings of connection, wonder, and appreciation for the outdoors (Aulkins et al, 2006). Tonight, I took my first short walk to the muddy pond down the street. Feeling the warmth of the evening sun and listening to the gurgling sounds at the pond, made me grateful for being home. Small steps lead to a new beginning.

Although I wished to join the Poetry Friday Roundup earlier, I shall add my post now to Janice Scully's blog. Janice is sharing the beauty of Carol Labuzzetta's new Picture Perfect Poetry Anthology filled with amazing ekphrastic poems and gorgeous nature photographs. Janice is proud to be one of the contributing poets. I am also one of those poets but that is for another blog post.

17 comments:

  1. Hooray for short walks to a muddy pond! Oh, my goodness this is so good to read. I'm sorry for the road to recovery you must walk. I wish I could give you a ride! I know that you will take care to move a bit each day and write, write, write! Yes, get those feelings out. Tell us about that coming storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for your supportive comment. Tonight I walked much further with my husband and son. I decided to take another longer route to the muddy pond. It was so peaceful there.

      Delete
  2. This is such a lovely post, Carol. I love the turn to sunlight in your poem, and hope your recovery works similarly. It sounds like you've been weathering your own storm lately. I hope you're taking care of yourself and am so glad that nature is available to offer you solace, and that you're sharing your words here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, each day holds something different in my recovery process. I am determined to walk a bit further each day. Thank you for your support.

      Delete
  3. Three cheers for the healing power of poetry (and for YOUR healing)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lee, yes, you are right. Healing may be a long stage but I am determined to walk a bit more each day. Slow down is difficult but I am learning to adjust.

      Delete
  4. Having the gift of words, as you show so wonderfully, Carol, must surely aid you in your path to wellness, and it give all of us a smile to read of your first walks to that muddy pond, a healing step! Thank you for taking time to share with us. I'm sending all my wishes to you for more of those walks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for your wishes. I think all the prayers and good wishes have been a boost. As I walked with my husband and son tonight, one of my friends drove by and stopped to tell me that I was in her prayers. That gave me an added incentive to keep on walking to the next step before getting to the muddy pond.

      Delete
  5. Yes to the healing power of poetry. Good to hear you're on the road to recovery; thanks for sharing your observations of a rainy day -- happy the sun came out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The healing balm of time in nature --no better way to step back into life. I'm glad and grateful that you are healing, Carol. It is humbling to be sidelined in life --and to be gracious about it. How wonderful to have your husband guiding you to the pond, the sounds of life surrounding you, and strength to pen a beautiful poem. Keep getting well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're healing and writing, Carol. Wow, a 2-1/2-week hospital stay. I'm glad you joined in to this week's roundup, and I hope you know that if you only post but aren't able to comment on other posts for the next several weeks, we all understand! Sending hugs and healing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry you are having to recover from surgery. Glad you've been able to take short walks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are feeling better soon, Carol! Interesting about the healing power of poetry! Wishing lots of poems fly your way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheering you on, Carol, as you continue to heal, and cheering, too, for the healing power of poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer, medicine and poetry are such powerful parts of my life, Karen.

      Delete
  11. Carol, I'm so glad you are recuperating, and yes, nature poetry is great medicine. Here's to more and farther walks as you continue to gain strength.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for that sunlight that broke through in your poem Carol! 🌞 I hope it continues to shine on you with ❤️‍🩹 healing, hope, and nature’s balms. Whoa, 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital, I’m so glad you are home and have this pond to tempt you out, soak in all its goodness, sending more healing thoughts your way, xox. 🌻🦋🐝

    ReplyDelete