Saturday, June 29, 2024

Celebrate Life-Seeking Wabi-Sabi

As I transfer from a hospital-bound stage to recovery mode, I write this blog as a celebration of life. I look back at the beginning of May when I started writing short pieces that were threads of a worry journal. I thought this would help me chase away the anxieties swelling inside.

As isolated days continued, my brain was consistently on speed dial. Health worries spilled over into stressful moments. I started realizing that anxiety limited my ability to enjoy the moments of life that lay in front of me. 

After I read Tricia Stohr-Hunt's Poetry Friday blog post on wabi-sabi, I researched the topic and found a meaningful quote to inspire me. Beth Kempton, a Japanologist and author of  Wabi Sabi: Japanese Wisdom for a Perfectly Imperfect Life, writes:

Be grateful for even the tiniest of miracles because they add up to this thing called life. 

Tricia Stohr-Hunt along with her Poetry Sisters invited Poetry Friends (hashtag #PoetryPals) to join their June writing challenge with the topic of wabi-sabi. I was impressed by the array of poems flowing with different formats and content. I wrote my first tritina poem, a modern poetic form with three tercets, three end-words in an ABC, CAB, BCA, and a single final line, envoi, with all three end words.


Seeking Wabi-Sabi
turquoise waters soothe restless thoughts
waves gently meet a school of fish searching for their space
uninterrupted by thick seaweed-two sides of beauty
landscapes unfold to share moments of grace and beauty
color-coded clouds shift across a sky of prepared thoughts
I pause to view nature's perspective and ponder her ideas for each space 
 
instantly nature shifts her weather from a calm to a temperamental space
thunder, lightning and torrential rain encourage people to find beauty
in imperfections and appreciate the transience of nature's thoughts

Will humans see the value of a celebrating each moment in nature's space of revolving thoughts and beauty?
@CVarsalona, 2024, draft
Happy Poetry Friday!

Stay tuned for a a couple more book reviews and a peek inside the
Poetry Parade Gallery of Artistic Expressions at my padlet for now..

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you here, Carol, taking time to reflect as you recuperate, finding joy and a special quote to help you find it, too! Thank you for the poem of support and reflection, from you and for all of us readers. Sending hugs to keep on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, your comment is such a comforting one. Our family trip to Punta Cana was filled with a canvas of beauty and a surprise, thunderous rainstorm like I have never witnessed in the states. It opened my eyes to the majesty of nature. I am going slow again today in a thankful mood.

      Delete
  2. Hoping for a speedy recovery, Carol! Thank you for reminding us that even in our trials, there is always much to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, I hope the seaside time helped heal body and soul with moments of grace and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Patricia, the trip provided the rest and delight I needed. Thank you for thinking of me. I just read your touching poem and hope you received it. I am having trouble with the responses lately.

      Delete
  4. Oh, yes, I will keep the tiniest miracles, for they do add up. I love that quote by Beth Kempton. Your poem is beautiful, Carol. The last three words "beauty, space, and thoughts" are good ones for your journey. What a beautiful trip you must have had at Punta Cana. It sounds like a wonderful place to recuperate. Peace and healing to you.

    ReplyDelete