Friday, June 8, 2018

Beachside Calm

In search of peace and calmness, I travel to the boardwalk to stare out into the Atlantic Ocean waters. There is a gentle mix of tranquility and exhilaration found on this windy spring day. 



I search the ocean's extensive vista, watching foaming waves rush against shore in a cyclical pattern. Within this panoramic view, gulls playfully swoon in between slices of billowing clouds and spiral down to meet the undulating wisps of sweeping sea. Under a canopy of blue-grey sky and amidst churning ocean sounds, beachgoers engage in their ritualistic routines while I momentarily restacknowledging the presence of nature. Slowly, I breathe in springtime freshness, letting go of stagnant thoughts. Transfixed on the majesty of the day, I become one with nature. With gratitude for life and living, I cast pent-up emotions out to sea, letting the gusty wind carry them far away from this placid day.

I am intrigued by the endless passion of the sea and the inviting nature of the beach. Staring into the ocean, I  temporarily remove myself from the hectic pace of life. 

Quietly, I walk along the beach,
calmly
observing
nature's
beauty,
calmly
breathing
in
freshness.
Calmly,
I quietly walk along the beach.
©CVarsalona, 2018, Long Beach, NY


Skinny Poem Format
I have been intrigued with the skinny form of poetry since I heard about it this past winter. It is a challenging short poem form that consists of eleven lines. The first and eleventh lines can be any length while the eleventh and last line must be repeated using the same words from the first and opening line (however, they can be rearranged). The above skinny poem is my final version after many iterations. 


Poetry Friday is here this week at Kiesha Shephard's blog site. Kiesha is ushering in summer at the ridge with her poem, Summer's Song

No comments:

Post a Comment