Friday, May 28, 2021

Remembering Long Island

Crane Neck Across the Marsh, 1841 by William Sidney Mount, one of the first and "finest" 19th-century painters of everyday rural life in America

On days like these shorelines call me to a gentler place, one where to-do lists slip away.  While it is still spring, warm breezes and rising temperatures of summer fill the air. My mind drifts back to Long Island shores as I explore the above painting found on Google Arts & Culture

Peering into William Sidney Mount's Crane Neck Across the Marsh artwork, I have a longing to be back at the seashore, being in the moment with peaceful surroundings. I sense that Mount, a longtime Long Island resident, understood the beauty of its terrain. 

For my poem today, I am using Laura Shovan's "10 Little Words" idea to create a poem. The words come from Mount's letter to Benjamin Thompson, 1848, about digging for colors. (William Sidney Mount, Painter of Rural America) My words are: explore, pigments, astonished, bright, red, mingling, sandstone, orange vermillion, tide, water, encased, spoon.

Morning light streams through silhouette shades. 
A vision of beauty stands before me. I explore each layer. 
Earth-toned pigments of bright-red and orange vermillion
streak the landscape. The artist's brush mingles with nature's
softened hues creating a masterful work of art.

Conjuring up sandstone dreams, I move into a New York state
of mind where tidal waters spoon droplets of spray into sea-salted
air. I breathe in, close my eyes for a moment, and remember. 
Astonished by the artwork's vivid reality and richness of shoreline colors,
I recall peaceful memories of a Long Island day at the shore.

©CV, 2021, draft



This month, I am playing with words for the Poetry Sisters' challenge of creating an ekphrastic poem and posting on social media with the tag, #PoetryPals. The challenge consisted of writing an ekpharastic poem using a photograph taken in a museum. I actually forgot the last part so I searched. I was pleased to find the Mount oil painting at the Long Island Museum-gift of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Heyser, Jr., 1961. 


Now it is time to link up with the Poetry Friday Roundup with our host, Michelle Kogan, Chicago artist/poet. In her usual flair for color and poetry, Michelle offers the poppiness of springtime with much poetry goodness. Birthday greetings are in order, too. 


20 comments:

  1. Carol, what a beautiful poem with beautiful words from the letter you chose. It is fascinating to read some of the process that brought your poem into shape, as well as the feelings and memories the painting conjured for you. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining me here, Denise. It is amazing how feelings and memories are evoked from a painting. This one is especially beautiful to me. I did not know that Mount used pigments from his surroundings to capture the essence of Long Island beauty.

      Delete
  2. Love your meditative poem, Carol. Your words paint beautiful images and make me feel so calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me here, Jama. Even though I stumbled through the writing portion, I was able to take me back to feelings I have had at the shore when I lived in Long Island.

      Delete
  3. I love this idea in your poem, Carol: "The artist's brush mingles with nature's/softened hues" - from eye to hand to canvas is a wonderful thing, isn't it? As is from eye to hand to words! I imagine you are missing those quick jaunts to the shore very much! I did love seeing the pictures! Have a wonderful weekend! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am missing our many visits to the shore, Linda. I have been contemplating on how I can get to the ocean from our inland home. We were planning to travel to a wedding on Long Island next week but my husband is experiencing some pain in his back and leg so that trip had to be cancelled.

      Delete
  4. Carol: I visited Long Island only once, but I remember its pleasures. This is a gorgeous image and I feel your need to revisit a place that feels like home. Beautiful poem... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will revisit the ocean one say, Karen. For now, it is a distant dream. My husband is having back and leg pain that prevents us from joining my friends at a wedding next weekend.

      Delete
  5. That is utterly beautiful - both image and reminiscence. I want to see that one in person now! Here's to returning to museums soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanita. I do enjoy writing alongside the Poetry Sisters.

      Delete
  6. I just want to walk right into your poem...it is a painting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, the painting brings back so many vivid memories of a Long Island seaside walk. If you know of a water body nearby please send me the info. We are longing to take a ride to a beautiful lake but especially the ocean.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you took this challenge to the next level with your 10 words! What a beautiful painting and poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, it is always fun to try something new. I hope you and your husband are feeling better.

      Delete
  8. Lovely and moving poem Carol, and it works so well with the incredible complementary colors in the painting–all that luscious tangerine orange and just a bit of blue. I also liked these lines,
    "Conjuring up sandstone dreams, I move into a New York state
    of mind where tidal waters spoon droplets of spray into sea-salted
    air,"thanks for taking me into the scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, with your artist eye you honed in on the colors in the painting. I thought you might enjoy this fascinating fact: "Mount believed that by using pigments extracted from the Long Island soil, he would be better enabled at representing the local color, light and atmosphere of the nation."

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful painting to write about I love the ten word idea and concur with Michelle K with the incredible line from your poem.
    I hope you get to explore new places this summer in your new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jone, this painting was the ideal prompt to write about. This image wanted a poem so I spent quite a bit of time trying to craft it and then revise it.

      Delete
  10. This is beautiful, Carol, and truly evokes the longing to linger on the shoreline. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, we are contemplating a seaside trip this summer. Thanks for joining me as I recollected my Long Island shoreline.

      Delete