Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Ice Cream Small Moment

"If life is a bowl of dark ice cream, small moments are colorful sprinkles all over it."

Ice cream is such a treat. It is no wonder that local magazines, news, and social media share information on the "ice cream trail" and what are the "best" spots for a good treat. Ice cream parlors, shops, and stands are favorite outings for our family. Now, the love of ice cream has been passed on to my little grandgirls.

From years of tasting delectable flavors and types of ice cream, we were ready for taste tests when traveling to Central New York for my Uncle's funeral. We were lucky that the internet found an ice cream trail in small towns of Central New York.

Ice cream flavors have come a long way since vanilla and chocolate days. I remember my childhood when the Neapolitan flavor was in vogue. Then, the chocolate dip cone became the rage. One of my high school jobs was at Friendly's. When the store first opened, I was the waitress behind the counter, scooping out sundaes and cones for customers. Then, I grew into an adult with a sweet tooth looking for the best ice cream in a new locale. We found one in Verona, NY, Nicky Doodles. We were happily surprised when the parking lot was crowded. Many families were enjoying the ice cream and custard treats outside under picnic tables. 

After deliberating on what would make a double-scoop ice cream a wonderful treat, each one of us asked for something different.  As the evening hours drew to a close, I sat down to enjoy a double-dip cone of coconut chocolate almond and dark chocolate raspberry. My husband and son chose different flavors of custard. We were delighted with our choices and I made sure that I rolled the flavors in a slow-motion, taste-licking way. I don't remember tasting a combination of flavors better than this one.

🍦

join me for a treat
custard, ice cream
delicious, not too sweet
an ideal summer dream
double dips, cones, cups 
tongue-licking smacks
taste buds erupt
sit down and relax
under an evening sky
of sprinkles galore
breathe, be, and sigh
it's ice cream I adore
©CVarsalona, 2023
🍦
-Slice of Life Small Moment-
delicious enough to be repeated many times this summer

Thanks to Two Writing Teachers for the space to write with a community of reflective writers.

5 comments:

  1. Carol, what is there not to love about ice cream? All those flavors. All those possible combinations. Many times we went to Friendly's just to get a sundae, hot fudge over mint chocolate chip, after our meal. We recently found a place not too far from us that makes their own ice cream . Delicious. Han dipped or custard it is a refreshing treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, now the trick is to balance the yen for ice cream with healthy foods. Here's to a heart healthy summer!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Carol, your choice sounds so good--what a delightful combination! I really enjoyed the way this post went from present to past to present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vivian. I am posting another poem for July National Poetry Month at Slice of Life July 11th. See you there.

      Delete