Thursday, June 22, 2023

Summer Solstice

“One way of celebrating the Solstice is to consider it a sacred time of reflection, release, restoration, and renewal.” — Sarah Ban Breathnach

****************

To most people, Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer. Celebrations begin, garden flowers continue to blossom, and children eagerly await their summer break.  On nature's calendar, the Summer Solstice begins the summer season. This year the long day of the Summer Solstice brought a turnover from springtime to summertime

Seasonal Shuffle
Spring dressed in 
flowery finery to welcome summer.
It was the time
for blooming brightness to
restore the earth and simply
indulge in a new season meant to be.
©CVarsalona, 2023

Paul Laurence Dunbar captures the delight of summer in the last couplet of his poem, In Summer Time.

'Tis wealth enough of joy for me 
in summer time to simply be.

I read these lines repeatedly for joy was my 2017 one word and be, my guiding one word this year. The last line in Dunbar's poem, in summer time to simply be, became the strike line in my Golden Shovel poem, Seasonal Shuffle. 

Please note that many of my previous poems revolve around nature as a bountiful giver. Usually, the Summer Solstice is a joyous time to listen to nature, slow down,  soak in the sun's peaceful bliss, and relax. This July 21st, Mother Nature offered earth a darker shade of summer and will continue to water our neighborhood with daily rain-an interesting beginning to summer.


For those who believe in the power of positivity, see the Summer Solstice as a guide on your "slow down" summer journey. Begin the walk to add balance to your life, release negativity to see cups as half full not empty, and rest to restore your spirit. Use each summer day to recharge and renew your energy.


Now at the beginning of the Summer of 2023, meet me
Where pathways meet and pathways part,-
To walk with Nature heart by heart.
Italicized lines are from Paul Laurence Dunbar's poem, In Summer Time.

****************

Tomorrow is Poetry Friday with our host, the master poetic collage artist, Linda Mitchell. She will celebrate poetic goodness in style with her clunker challenge. I look forward to collecting clunker words or thoughts to engage in word play at the Creativity Zone. 


Logo created by Michelle Kogan

25 comments:

  1. What a beautiful entrance into summer in that flowery finery. Spring is classy...as Summer is relaxed. What a joy filled post. Joy from the entrance of a season to just be...love that! Thanks for your poem and Dunbar's lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I like your image of summer being relaxed. May all our summer days be filled with peaceful bliss even when it rains.

      Delete
  2. I love how you put your advice to "release negativity to see cups as half full not empty" into action in your haiku: writing about your wet "summer solstice gift". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget the sun shines on this lovely Sunday. I am ready to just bask in its beauty and just be. Have a beautiful day. I wonder when we will get to see Smidgey in action...

      Delete
  3. We received those "swooshing torrents" on our Solstice evening, too, Carol, an amazing summer entrance! But all your other words show the loveliness that summer brings, just "to be". Wishing you a special one with the grands, older and brand new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, even on gray days and rainy ones, I long to just be. Yesterday, may have been gray and humid but I got to see the little girls and felt the sunshine of their smiles. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  4. where pathway meet and pathways part--Thanks for sharing that line, Carol. And stay dry! (Or go splash in puddles :>D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that line and will have to use that again because it reminds me of the cycle of life. Laura. I hope you are feeling better. Your idea to splash in puddles sounds delightful. I know my little grands love to do that on wet pathways.

      Delete
  5. The slowdown of summer, the goodness and joy of summer. It is all here in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for the day that I can lounge in slowdown moments, Jone. I think this weekend was the first one that I was able to sleep like a bear in winter. Here's to a bright summer.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful Golden Shovel, Carol. I love Dunbar's line "in summer time to simply be" We also had a rainy start to summer, but it was much needed. I like Laura's suggestion of splashing in puddles. Let's go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Splashing in sunshine and just being makes a joyous picture of some summer days. Rose, at least the water helps my garden thrive. Enjoy your summer!

      Delete
  7. So glad to be getting RAIN after such a long time. And I love thinking about summer solstice as a time to slow down. YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Marcie. The rain allowed for days to curl up and also to focus more on getting important tasks completed.

      Delete
  8. I’m enjoying your interweaving “simply” in your poems, it echoes feelings of summer, slowing down and taking our time, thanks Carol, for all your positivity and all here! Hope future rains are more gentle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, the torrential rains allowed me time to be more focused on what I needed to do inside the house. It felt good to spend days lounging around in pjs. We all should have more of these days to simply be.

      Delete
  9. Oh, this is lovely, Carol. Your poem, your reminder to slow down and recharge, and Paul Dunbar's line all work together beautifully. I also appreciate that you're choosing to regard the rain as a gift--we've had an overabundance of it up here lately so I'm struggling to find and keep that lens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, keeping our sights on possibilities rather than negativity helps us focus on wonder of life. I don't think I will forget your photo of being soaked with the rain. Your smile was a wonderful incentive to live life to its fullest no mather what comes are way.

      Delete
  10. Carol, I enjoyed both the haiku and the Golden Shovel. One of the schools where I volunteer is named after Dunbar, and I keep meaning to do some research so I can write about him for my first-grade friends. So thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the poem that Dunbar wrote was a beautiful mentor text for me. My oldest granddaughter is entering 1st grade and I think that grade is a wonderful one where children are coming into the reading process and feeling a bit more independent. Have fun working with them.

      Delete
  11. Ah...the solstice signals summer... and in a way, for me, the start of the next year around the sun. I always think of the sun as being at its fullest at the solstice - sort of like us at the start of a new year. Thank you for your invitation-reminder to walk, BE, to "soak in the sun's peaceful bliss."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We meet at the crossroads of words, Patricia. Just being is a gift. Enjoy the start of summer. May it provide you with solace and bliss.

      Delete
  12. I love Paul Laurence Dunbar, Carol, and love your words and weavings through this post, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Karen. I appreciate your comments. Today is a sunshiny day so everyone is smiling. The heat is even moderate. I hope you are enjoying your Sunday.

      Delete
  13. "indulge in a new season meant to *be*" -- I love this line, Carol!

    ReplyDelete