Friday, June 16, 2023

Goodby Kindergarten

It was a beautiful day six years ago just like today. My husband, son, and I were driving from Long Island to Virginia to arrive in time for the arrival of our first grandchild when my phone started ringing. Sierra  Kathryn was just born and we were still at least two hours away. Fast track to yesterday, Sierra, my oldest granddaughter celebrated her 6th Birthday. Plus, today she finishes her year of Kindergarten. It is difficult to believe that time has past so quickly and Sierra is now ready for 1st grade. Last night, we celebrated with the extended family.  Without further ado, I share snippets of the outside dinner party through a series of photos.

Homemade number cookie I baked for the dinner party
Sierra enjoys her cookie.
She attempts to read her birthday cards.
I am proud to see her trying.
Two sisters enjoy the celebration at Medium Rare.

Recently, I read Amy Ludwig Vanderwater's blogs which spoke about occasion poem and making souvenir poems. Below is my souvenir poem that I will read with Sierra.

Your kindergarten life,
a whole year of delight,
whooshed away
in a fantastic way!
Your sweet teacher was swell!
It's time to bid friends farewell. 
Memories will last
through your summer-life dash.
Then, first grade will come
for more school-life fun.
©CVarsalona, 2023

🎂
Thanks to Anastasia Suen for sparking a poem for her June #smallpoem challenge.
sweetened sangria
delicious and bright
as the birthday girl
raise a glass to celebrate
©CVarsalona, 2023
🎂

Last year, my artist and poet friend, Michelle Kogan created a 5th-year birthday card for SierraThis week she is hosting Poetry Friday here. You can find much poetic goodness on her site, including the Poetry Friday community blog posts. I look forward to joining everyone this morning.

Logo created by Michelle Kogan

15 comments:

  1. "whooshed away" is right, Carol. You know how I feel about that time stuff! Congratulations to Sierra! From A.A. Milne, a favorite line: "But now I am Six,
    I'm as clever as clever,
    So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you delight me with A.A.Milne's poem. I think Sierra will enjoy it also. We are celebrating again on Father's Day. Last night, I was able to hold Little Lila Joy during our celebration for Sierra. I feel so blessed with the 3 little girls. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to Sierra--sounds like a wonderful celebration. And a poem just for her--what a terrific gift! She looks smart and curious (and sometime skeptical) and all-around fabulous. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura, for the Happy Birthday wishes. It is so sweet of you to stop by, especially when you are not feeling well. I hope you feel better very soon.

      Delete
  3. Happy 6th birthday to your beautiful granddaughter! I love the photos of her with her cookie. And yes, time just wooshes away in the most startling way, doesn’t it? I can’t believe that my children are 21 and 18. It felt like they’d be little forever, and then one day, they weren’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the birthday thoughts for Sierra. She does love Grandma's cookies just like I loved my Nonnie's Italian cookies. Time flies by so we need to indulge in every moment. Have a great weekend, Lou.

      Delete
  4. Oh, my goodness...not six years already?! What a beautiful little person with so much to look forward too. And, how lucky to have homemade cookie cake. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Sierra. Carol, you are right. Time does fly. That is why it is so important to celebrate the precious moments each day offers. May Sierra's future be as bright as her smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, I love these glimpses into your family and celebrations. Sierra and her sister look like twins! What a gift your words are for her; no doubt she will treasure these for years to come, just as you are treasuring these moments in time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet celebration! And a lovely poem for the occasion. Six is such a fun age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I *love* all of these poems and photos about such a happy day of celebtrations, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, Carol, our littles are growing up too fast. I love the first day of kindergarten pic and the poem you wrote celebrating the end of kindergarten.. Lucky girl to have a grandma writing souvenir poems marking special days.Sierra is a girl after my own heart. I love cookies for my birthday too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 6th birthday to Sierra! I love that she inspires so many poems and posts. It's lovely to watch your relationship flourish. :), Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yes, how time whooshes away! Happy birthday to Sierra!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post, poem, and images Carol. Sending belated Birthday Greetings to your 6 year-old granddaughter Sierra, how fortunate she is to be showered in so much love, it looks like a wonderful family celebration was had, thanks for sharing all!

    ReplyDelete