Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Game On

February is a special month for author/poet, Laura Shovan. She celebrates her birthday with a community of poets by offering an annual February Poetry Project. This year marks her 12th poetry project with games as the theme. The goal is to draft a poem daily based on a prompt generated by one of the community members. Each day a new game-inspired prompt is posted. Today is Day 6. Heather Meloche is the prompt provider. Her lead in thought is humans aren't the only ones who play. Many animals play for a variety of reasons.

I mulled over a series of ideas until one commercial sparked my thoughts. Hallmark Channel shared a promotional commercial for an upcoming event, The Great American Rescue Bowl. The cuddly players are none other than rescue animals, a few of which are from the Hawaii fires last year. Each animal has a story and wishes for a forever home. After viewing several videos and articles, an image poem evolved. 

On Super Bowl Sunday The Great American Family hosts a fur-flying, paw-running game that will endear you to the players. Dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens will "take to the field" in the second annual Great American Rescue Bowl that celebrates 80 years of the North Shore Animal League America saving animals. The game's on! Which team, the Cuddlers or Adorables, will take the lead? Maybe your fur-friendly pets would be interested in watching the "cutest game on TV" and an exciting halftime.  

It's time for me to post at Two Writing Teachers, a meeting place for worldwide reflective writers. Click here to read various slices of life written by educators

7 comments:

  1. Diane Anderson (newtreemom)
    I saw one of the puppy bowl promotions on the Today Show. It was full of fun with puns. It is a great way to spotlight some animals that need homes and just plain fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, thanks for telling me about the puppy bowl promotions on the Today Show. I searched for it online and found it to be similar to the Great American Rescue Bowl. It is wonderful that there are different game events to find forever homes for rescued and homeless animals.Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  2. Carol, I love this post. Anything that showcases shelter animals and helps to get them a forever home I am for. Again, going back to the news station that airs feel good news every day, on Fridays they have a “16 To The Rescue” segment there they introduce an animal at a local shelter that is hoping for a home. They also run pictures of the animals they have helped to get adopted. We have watched the Puppy Bowl on occasion. Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved hearing about your local news station that is filled with good news. What a positive way to bring goodness to the public. Most people I know like the thought of good news being spread throughout communities. I told my son about the news show. He loves the idea of it also.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of Rescue Bowl. This is precious. I love how ideas fall into our laps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britt, I was actually wondering yesterday what I would write about. Finding my topic unexpectedly was a great happening. I enjoyed researching the topic and finding out about a great charity event.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this post! I really loved reading it. It would be great to chat with everyone in person one day.

    ReplyDelete