Friday, February 23, 2024

Loveuary's Emotional Ties

As one of the #PoetryPals, I'm joining the Poetry Sisters, Tanita, Laura, Mary Lee, Liz, Sara, Triciaand Kelly, for their February challenge.

This month the Poetry Sisters invited all writers to create epistolary poetry in the form of a love poem. Epistolary poems are, quite literally, poems that read as letters. As poems of direct address, they can be intimate and colloquial or formal and measured (Academy of American Poets). I decided to create a small bank of heartnotes (aka valentines) that tugged at my heartstrings and led me in different directions. 

I see love through my family as they share precious life moments, smiles, laughter, and joy. Ordinary moments bring us together to discover what love is. 

💘💘

Love's Emotional Ties


This poem is dedicated to my 2nd grandgirl who has a bright smile

Childlove is the beginning of lasting friendships!
small poem
It is my hope that this little 4-year-old miss will grow in love to bring
continuous sunshine to those around her.
💘💘

The poem below shares the love of little sisters who happen to be my grandgirls.
childlove 
priceless treasure
like glistening shells
swishing in ocean waves
keepsakes 
©CVarsalona, January 2024
Elfchen poem
💘💘

Dear Me,
There have been six and a half years of being
a Grandma like my mother and Nonnie.
What have you learned?
There is a special love 
seated deep inside a heart.
It is a thumping, wondrous love
that offers more 
sweetness than chocolate and
warmth on cold winter days.
It is an intangible love
that melts hearts,
mends broken wings,
and floats in imaginative minds.
It is the purring of a gentle kitten,
the whoosh of baby's sleeptoy,
and the softness of a furry blanket.
It is the God-given gift
to Grandmothers who
cherish family life.
Love, Me
©CVarsalona, January 2024
epistolary poem, #PoetryPals
💘💘
💖

Grandma Love Is...


gracefilled
a gift
of enduring love
fountain of perpetual devotion
forever 
©CVarsalona, January 2024
Elfchen poem
💘💘

Look, at me!
I love this french fry,
Mommy gave me.
Yummy in my tummy!
Do you love food
As much as I do!
Meme Poem, Created by Grandma,
©CVarsalona, January 2024
💘💘
May love surround you and your family.
💘💘
Is at
Tabatha Yeatts blog,
 "Open for Poetry Business".
Tabatha has a wonderful story poem about Scheherazade. Check it out.
💘💘

22 comments:

  1. Carol, what a wonderful wealth of poems you've shared! I really love your letter to yourself and this bit:
    "that offers more
    sweetness than chocolate and
    warmth on cold winter days"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, thank you for your comment. I was aghast when I went to my MacAir and could not find the blog post. It went into cyberspace but my IMac saved me from a night of worry. This post became a labor of enduring love.

      Delete
  2. This is Patricia: Grandma Live is all this, Carol! So much love bursts from your poems and your epistle. Hope you’re saving so the fit this grand girls 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, today I was blessed with a morning breakfast out with the grandgirls. Since we have been ill with the respiratory infection, the invitation to eat out was just perfect. Being homebound is not a good place for an extended time. I recall back during the Pandemic that we could not leave NY to travel to VA to see the family so I do feel blessed now. Enjoy your winter home.

      Delete
  3. A fun gathering of poems (the French fry is adorable) but the poignant question Grandma asks herself of "what have I learned these six years?" is lovely. -tanita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanita, maybe that question should be the start of a new poem-perhaps the pantoum for March. We'll see what I comes to be. Thanks so much for commenting. It feels good to have feedback.

      Delete
  4. Well, I love them all, Carol, and have loved seeing all your own grands grow, too. However, the one to you as grandmother touches my heart. I love "more
    sweetness than chocolate. . ." Being a grandmother is a wonderful part of life. And I had the good luck to have three; I loved being with each one; memories fill me up! Keep having the fun of your life with all those grands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I agree with you. Being a grandmother is such an important role. I fell blessed just like you. Have a wonderful week with your grandgirls. It is supposed to be warmer this week. I look forward to the warmth.

      Delete
  5. Most grandparents I meet speak of the special love they feel for their grandchildren and you capture that here, Carol. "A fountain of perpetual devotion" is present always in your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice, I live in a community with many grandparents who moved to VA to be near their granchildren. Being a granmother is a very special role that makes me happy. Tomorrow night we are bringing heart-shaped ravioli to celebrate a belated Valentines Day. I celebrate February as Loveuary Month. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful thumping love! Thanks for sharing these sweet poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcie. I enjoyed writing this blog. Have a wonderful time this week.

      Delete
  7. Your blog post is a bouquet of beautiful poems celebrating the love of family. Thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth, for your kind words. Bouquet is a lovely word!

      Delete
  8. Love the letter to yourself, the warmth on cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Buffy. I will see you at Poetry Friday in the morning.

      Delete
  9. Oh, Carol, what a beautiful letter to yourself. It feels so warm and affirming. You've had so much going on. I hope this reminder of not only the blessings you have but the blessing that you ARE is a bedrock for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, my yoga teacher reminds us that "I Am" which sounds much like You ARE. Bedrock is a sturdy word that I need to ponder. Thanks.

      Delete
  10. I love that you wrote a letter to yourself! Imagine all you'll experience in the NEXT six years!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lee, the future offers the promise of delivering lessons to me. In six years grandgirl #1 will be a pre-teen. Oh My! Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  11. Your love and devotion to your grandgirls shines through every one of your posts, Carol. I always feel better after visiting and reading your love poetry.
    (and that photo of your youngest french fry lover...*swoon*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget, little Lila is the best baby eater I have seen. This week she gobbled up her heart-shaped ravioli and meatballs. She get very excited when she sees her foot being delivered to her highchair. You can imagine what she looked like after that portion of food.

      Delete