Friday, April 26, 2024

Oskar's Voyage Anchors Here!

Have you heard about Laura Purdie Salas' new book for children? Pause for a moment because Oskar's Voyage anchors here! 


This book is illustrated by Kayla Harren whose beautiful artwork showcases a tiny chipmunk on a voyage he did not intend to take. Minnesota Historical Society Press published the book.

My introduction to this charming book for children started on March 11, 2024, with a Zoom session co-presented by the author and illustrator. I enjoyed the get-together filled with an enthusiastic reveal of the book for educators and students. Days later, I introduced my almost 7-year-old, 1st-grade grandgirl to discuss the storyline. While opening the book, Sierra found a map of "Oskar's unexpected journey". She was intrigued and delighted to discover the next pages with a note for her from my creative author/poet friend, Laura Purdie Salas.


What else would delight a young reader to read the book out loud? Within the pages, we found an oak tree resplendent in autumn colors, food boxes piled high in wobbly stacks, and a gleeful Oskar sitting in the middle of bright red tomatoes. The book continued with a voyage that turned into an adventure. Illustrations of the cargo ship hoisting large freight onboard showed the heavy-duty work of a cargo ship. Sierra was knowledgeable about large cruise ships because she traveled with the family on a Disney ship but was unfamiliar with a huge freighter that crossed three Great Lakes. Many children don't have experiences that Laura writes about in her book. Building content knowledge is a reading strategy for children who wish to become excellent readers and writers.

Sierra continued to fluently read lines with different placements of words. She enjoyed words that rhymed and loved watching the little chipmunk scurry around the deck darting and doving into hiding places. There are more fun adventures for Oskar on the freighter and even mischief happening in places like the pantry. What's a tiny chipmunk to do all alone on a big ship?  


The book has a wonderful storyline with strong action verbs, onomatopoeia, alliteration, and rhyming words. Parents and elementary children would enjoy this book. In addition, the storyline is suspenseful with an adorable animal as the main character so older children might also enjoy Oskar's Voyage.


Will Oscar survive the trip?
What do you think?
Look at the illustration above and make your prediction.

😊

I love to read. Other children will enjoy reading this book, too.
 Thank you, Miss Laura, for the book, the note, and the bookmarks. 
😊
Teaser for Oskar's Voyage

An adventurous storyteller
and a creative artist
follow an unexpected voyager
on a heavy-duty freighter.
What happens while sailing on the Great Lakes
is a frolicking tale of mischief, worry,
and longing to refind home.
©CVarsalona, 2024  
Resources for Teachers

Laura Purdie Salas offers resource pages at the end of her book. There are fun facts, cargo ship lingo, author's notes, acknowledgment, and resources. The back page discusses the M/V Paul R. Tregurtha, a real thousand-footer. In 2019 Laura and her husband, Randy, spent more than a week sailing on this amazing freighter known as the Queen of Lake. This distinction notes that the ship is the longest boat sailing on the Great Lakes. You can also find additional resources for the book on Laura's blog.

"Oskar's Voyage grew out of my explorations aboard the Tregurtha."  
Kudos to Laura for pursuing her dream of sailing on a freighter.

News Flash: Laura Purdie Salas added 4 image poems
to my NPM project on Poetry Parade Padlet.
You can read them here and add your own image poem(s) to the padlet.




Today's Poetry Friday Roundup is on Ruth Hersey's blog,
There is No Such Thing as a God-forsaken Town.

Photo by Ruth Hersey
Port-au-Prince, 12/2020

Ruth still dreams of Haiti, her home for many years while teaching there.
Her dreams are darkened by chaos in the streets.
The last line of her poem brings the reality of Haiti's situation. 

"Often when I dream about my country I wake up with tears in my eyes."

16 comments:

  1. Laura is such an icon for me as an author, I can only dream of being as successful as she is, one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I agree Laura has much to offer as poet. She understands children's minds and writes a variety of books and poems that become mentor texts. I hope your dream follows you to success.

      Delete
  2. Love your own "frolicking poem" of Laura's "frolicking" tale, Carol. I remember when Laura shared about her and Randy's adventure, and now a great book with a squirrel. I still need to get it but it's on my list. I love your inclusion of Sierra in your review, too! And, the padlet has some lovely visuals and poems! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you for your comments. Sierra was happy today when she saw my blog post. I sent her home with Laura's book that not only has her signature but quick note for Sierra. She was delighted to also get a copy of my blog. I think she may bring those items to school.

      Delete
  3. How fun to review Laura's book through the lens of your grandgirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lee, Sierra was thrilled to read the responses about her so thank you for your comment. I plan on having Sierra read and respond to other new books that come my way.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Carol, thank you for this fantastic post. I love hearing about you and Sierra reading the book together, and that picture!!! I love your teaser too. "Longing to refind home"--yes! Thank you so very much. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I showed Sierra the blog this morning and printed her a copy. I think she wants to show her teacher. She also was very pleased to take your book home. I told her that I needed it only until the blog was finished.Thanks for writing such a fun book for children.

      Delete
  5. Carol, you and Sierra have written a lovely review of Laura's Oskar's Voyage. I love the phrase "longing to refind home" What a wonderful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, thank you for your comment. I love Laura's books and am excited to review them. Now, I am happy to have a child read and respond to the new books.

      Delete
  6. Nice synopsis in your poem. I Love Laura's book and how fun it was to follow the busy main character on that huge boat. I'm sure your grandkids enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, Sierra took home a copy of my blog with her thoughts and photo that I digitized to make it special. BUT the best surprise was that she took the book home with her. She is very proud that Laura wrote her a special note in the book. (And she loves thinking that she cane write poetry.

      Delete
  7. Carol, it is so delightful that you not only shared Oskar's Voyage with Sierra but that she wrote her own little review of it! And your own poem/review is a wonderful way to share the story with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, While revieving Laura's book I thought about creating a poetryaction but my teaser was a fun way to sum it up for children. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  8. Carol, this is so sweet and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, for you comment. I had the family over for the weekend so every minute of my day was filled with little girls and parents. Tonight, I am trying to read as many PF posts as possible. You are next.

      Delete