Friday, August 30, 2024

Slowdown Summer Overflows with Poetry

What started this afternoon continues throughout the night. Crackling noises, flashing lights, and sudden darkness break through the sky. I sit here remembering the flash announcements and the fear of traveling home amidst a terrifying twist of nature. Passing by a five-car accident, fire trucks, and police cars brought the reality of the situation. What I thought would be slowdown moments of summer's ending became Earth in motion. The severe thunderstorm moved from one section of the highway to another. Six hours later, rain continues to make its mark on life. With a deep care for life, I sit and read William Wordsworth's thoughts and ponder the magnitude of what poetry is.

"Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility." 

This summer during slowdown moments, the annual Summer Poetry Swap found its way into fellow Poetry Friday friends' hearts. Under the superb direction of Tabatha Yeatts, writing to my poetry swap friend, Denise Krebs, became a reality. Denise became a Grandma for the second time as I began my swap writing to her. I was overjoyed by the blessing of her little pink blossom, the growth of her grandson, and the surprise mailing she sent me. The crocheted pieces for my kitchen made me smile but the clever poem from Health itself was a joy. The gift held a special message "to ponder the bounty of living in full abundance". 



Then, after receiving Denise's poetry swap gift, I found mail from Tabatha Yeatts awaiting my read. She focused on my thoughts about 48 years of my married life and created a Golden Shovel poem using the strike line from Kahlil Gibran, one of my husband's and my favorite poets.



I look back on the torrential rainstorm that just calmed down and compare it to the artistic card that Tabatha sent me. Stilled tranquility appeals to me more than an intrepid storm. The power of poetry brings sensory thoughts flowing from the corners of my mind. 

🌅 
 For the August Challenge the Poetry Sisters, Tanita, Lauras, Mary Lee, Liz, Sara, and Kelly, invited writers to create an ekphrastic poem. I decided to use the artwork sent to me. #PoetryPals

Photo from @TwinDesigns


🌅 


Today's Poetry Friday Roundup is hosted by Susan Thomsen at
Chicken SpaghettiShe shares a funny poem that will make you smile so stop by.
🌅 
May a sense of peace and quiet fill your weekend as August hands the baton to September.

15 comments:

  1. Carol, thank you for sharing both the storms and the poetry swap goodness! I love the Kahlil Gibran line. Those car accidents are heartbreaking and humbling, aren't they? Life is precious. And so are YOU. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is precious is a truth, Irene. I think I will take another look at my Kahlil Gibran poetry book today. I wonder if it has a thought for my son's birthday.

      Delete
  2. What lovely swaps and ekphrastic response poems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a celebration of art! And, what a storm...my goodness it was a doozy. Thank goodness we didn't loose power here. Happy Anniversary to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, your post is rich, and I thank you for the kind words. You have created some magical ekphrastic poems with those card fronts. Beautiful. "sunshine and chatter wake earth" is a lovely thought I'm going to remember when the birds sing so early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That golden shovel was a delight. Happy Anniversary!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Tanita. This poem will become one of my treasured memories.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post, Carol, filled with poetic goodness. Thank you for sharing it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for commenting on my blog, Rose. I just read and commented on yours. It is wonderful to have PF friends.

      Delete
  7. Your description of the storm is poetry itself, Carol. I've been in a few like that & they are frightening! Then, like the storm lessening, you brought out the best, poet friends with their gifts. What a lovely & happy post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We got that storm too---only I was safely tucked away at home. Love that "sunshine and chatter wake the earth."

    ReplyDelete
  9. That golden shovel poem! Perfect timing for us - it's our 23rd anniversary this coming week. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on 23 years of togetherness, Jane.

      Delete
  10. Tranquility seems to be a theme woven throughout your post, Carol -- in poetry, in gifted thoughts and words, in nature's sky and storms, and now in this turning of the season, hopefully in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A poem from the point-of-view of Health itself, cool idea! I like "nature's springtime gift unopened." Glad you like your anniversary poem :)

    ReplyDelete