Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Sunkissed Summer Days

It is almost the end of August. I have seen many sunkissed summer days alive with trees showcasing their colors, bees buzzing while circling gardens, and floral scents perfuming the air. On other days, nature painted the sky with dark gray swirls. In my mind, each summer day fluttered like a butterfly. I watched the flow of nature as I tried to recuperate. I stared at the glowing moon in an inked sky and the morning sun peeking through the clouds. Another season will soon be here. Leaf prints will scatter across sidewalks. Have you discovered the warmth and beauty of a sunkissed summer day?


There is still time to watch sunkissed summer days fill the air with various scents and settings. Will the ending days of summer gracefully transition to the next season?
Emily Dickinson reminds me
"How softly summer shuts, without the creaking of a door." 
Will Summer find herself resting among the leaves to create a carpet for the Earth?


It's Slice of Life Tuesday and I am happy to join Two Writing Teachers (late at usual).

6 comments:

  1. Carol, these have indeed been "sunkissed summer days" and I have treasured them. I spent many golden moments with my granddaughters, out in nature and its endless marvels. The girls have been trying to decide which birds each of us would be! My heart aches as the door "softly shuts" - I return to work today. Your glories of August stir such longing - I want them to linger even as I know that "nothing gold can stay." I also note the word recuperating in your post and as I have been out of the Slicing loop - in fact, out of a real writing routine - for a while now, I know I have missed something important. Healing blessings to to you, friend. You and your always incredibly beautiful words are a treasure. I thank you for these and for the gift of your comments, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. - The comment is from Fran Haley :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ran, thank you for tarting my day with your comments. I am amused by you and your grands trying to decide what birds each of you would be. As I read your first comment, I thought it was you writing. The two girls gave me the hint that you were writing. Recuperating refers to several blog posts I wrote at my blog starting in May with a supposed easy out-patient Hernia surgery . It turned into a second surgery to repair the bladder tear during the first surgery after days of an ICU stay to get my sodium levels where it was supposed to be. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks-(https://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2024/06/celebrate-earths-perfectly-imperfect.html), then home care therapy, and now out-patient therapy. I am slowly gathering my strength back. My little girls bring sunshine to me each time they arrive. I was given the okay to take a rest in Punta Cana with the family in late June and a family beach vacation in Cape May, NJ in early August. The Lord has been with me and I am abuntantly grateful. May your start of school be filled with sunkissed moments.

      Delete
  3. Carol, yes, indeed! I have. I've been in Seattle for three weeks now. August is the perfect month up here, sun-kissed days for sure! (I was also able to avoid three weeks of sun-baked days in the desert.) Your skinny poem is peaceful and sweet. I especially like that the butterflies and summer days both flutter. Sun-kissed is a beautiful word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, the images you paint describe August perfectly. There’s a taste of Fall with the cool temperatures we are having but summer weather returns for the weekend. Sunny blue skies give to dark gray clouds. The fluttering of butterfly wings is an apt description of how the days of summer seamlessly transition into the majestic season of autumn. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, I love your poem and your word choice of sun-kissed summer days. We've been lucky to have cooler weather for a bit which is a welcome change for me. The grands start school next week. Friday will be our last day with the three of them. It's been a grand summer, but as a lover of fall, I'm ready to move on. However, something tells me that we're in for more warmer weather before fall's ultimate arrival.

    ReplyDelete