Monday, October 21, 2019

Creative Expression via Digital Storytelling

Halloween is such a fun occasion to share a spooky story with little ones. Imagine a darkened room with background music filtering through. Creaky sounds and crackling noises set the stage as children sit in anticipation. The reader dressed in costume invites children to listen and imagine as the read aloud opens. Stories come alive as little eyes pop with excitement. 

Now, switch this scene from my 1990's schoolwide, Harvest House elementary reading room to a 21st-century, technology-infused classroom. Children sit watching the words of an engrossing story projected on a Smartboard, laptops, or iPads. Some are enjoying independent reading time. Others are listening to an audio version or rereading a story to their partner. Those who have already engaged in reading are now trying to write their own version of the story using background scenes from the Buncee platform demonstrated below or other digital platforms. The teacher is the guide on this reading and writing journey where digital storytelling and creativity come alive in many classrooms around the globe. 

For interested teachers, each month, ditty writing challenges can be found at Michelle H. Barnes' website. This month's ditty challenge, Monster Fears, by poet friends Michelle Barnes and Rebecca Herzog, is right up my writing alley. The prompt is: "Most everyone is afraid of monsters, but what are most monsters afraid of?" I started my writing yesterday on NCTE's National Day on Writing, along with decorating the house for Halloween. 

Today, as I prepare for #NYEDChat's convo on improving student learning through creative expression, I am letting my creative juices flow. Are you ready for a ditty treat?  Click on background sounds here. Then, sit back to view my tale for children, Monster Fear, created on the Buncee platform. (I am still in editing mode, but you can take a look.)



Thanks Rebecca Herzog for the inspiration.

Thanks Michelle H. Barnes for the following fun advertisement
about my little ditty storytelling poem.
πŸ€¨
Just for fun, I am adding in these songs. 
πŸ€¨
I hope to greet many educators, parents, and students tonight at #NYEDChat for a collective conversation on creative expression.


 Have a happy day filled with creativity.

3 comments:

  1. Well clearly you don't like Halloween at all, do you Carol? O.M.G. this is SO much fun!!! What a great job you did putting this buncee together. Fun writing, cute graphics, and I love the spooky sounds and music links too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always loved Halloween, Michelle, and have fond memories of the many years watching children delight in preparing for the festival of fun. Thanks for always supporting what I do. The Buncee platform brings digital storytelling to life.

      Delete
  2. This is so great, Carol! Me and my kids had a fun time watching/reading your poem. Thank you for sharing. It's always great to find a fellow Halloween fan. :)

    ReplyDelete