Friday, April 7, 2023

Reflecting on Spiritual Practices-SJT

While growing up, the week before Easter was filled with a variety of rituals and routines. We continued to abstain from meat on Good Friday and "gave up" eating chocolate and candy.  There were also spiritual practices during Holy Week that encouraged us to reflect. 

Palm Sunday was one of my favorite days of Holy Week. Mass was a joyous celebration honoring the triumphal entrance of Jesus into Jerusalem. Priests processed into the church while the parishioners waved blessed palms. The palms were brought home and transformed into small crosses and crowns of thorns. My mother and uncle created artistic treasures that I have kept for years. I  continued these practices with my own family. This year's palms were fresh and lovely but I forgot them in the car so they dried making crosses difficult. The long palms were added to an artificial bouquet in the foyer. and I had a braided cross from last year so I redesigned it to remind me of my mother's craft and the greatness of Christ's loving sacrifice for humanity. 

hands weave palms - a small act of love and faith
 reflecting
on
the
blessings
reflecting
on
HIS
Being
reflecting
hands weave palms - a small act of love and faith
©CVarsalona, 2023

During Holy Week a suggestion is to live as children of the light performing actions good, just, and true. (Ephesians 5:1-9) This message led me to reminisce on Jesus' humble action, the washing of feet, on what we now call Holy Thursday. This humbling yet powerful act is part of the Holy Thursday Mass and dates back to Jesus washing his disciples' feet after the Last Supper. 

Christ Washing the Disciples’ FeetDrawing by  Rembrandt van Rijn (1606-1669),Drawn between 1640-1650, reed pen and brown ink, with some areas deliberately rubbed with a wet finger or wet brush; framing line in greyish-brown ink  © Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Lesson Learned from the Washing of Feet Ceremony
Jesus came to serve, not to be served.
As a leader, He acted
with loving kindness
 and care for others.
Through actions,
He modeled
how to share
love. 
©CVarsalona, 2023

This month's host for Spiritual Journey Thursday is the international teacher/poet, Ruth Hersey. She chose the topic, Origins, and posed the following question: What are the origins of one of your spiritual practices? 

After reading the above, you should understand that the origins of my spiritual practice go back to childhood. Through family practice, I learned the vastness of God's gift of unconditional love. As I grew, I realized that many people around the world do not understand the depth of selfless, caring love for one another. Thank you, Ruth.

7 comments:

  1. My dried palm leaves are tucked behind a hallway mirror by the door, memories of a long-past Palm Sunday. I know I have a woven cross somewhere nearby, but nowhere near as elaborate and beautiful as your example. We share a lot of traditions in this writing circle, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, it is so good to chat with you about our traditions. I am
      so happy to have created a palm cross that merits praise. Thank you for that comment. I have been trying for years to make something like my mother and uncle's creations. Happy springtime and Easter.

      Delete
  2. Carol, "selfless, caring love for one another" seems to have gone by the wayside for so many and it is now all about me and my needs and wants. This definitely was not taught by Jesus. Being Byzantine, although the blessing of palm was a part of Palm Sunday so was the blessing of pussy willow. Wishing you, Richard, and your family a Happy and Blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I did not know that about pussy willows. I have loved the way they look since a child. I love chatting with you. Now off to make Italian delicacies for Easter. Happy Resurrection Sunday!

      Delete
  3. Carol, I have made a simple palm cross the last several years, but now I'm intrigued by your lovely cross. I have made crosses using buttons, and I will think about sharing those one of these days. My best to you for a blessed Easter. Enjoy your family... I will be with my grandkids also. Such joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Live as children of the light!" - Even as I wander, I cling to this exhortation from Paul. I have wonderful memories of the Easter Vigil and the dark church being lit from the Easter fire, candle by passed candle. And the urging to go forward - even today - and BE light for the world. That for me is the Easter message. Blessings to you and your family, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has taken me days to get through everyone's post. But what a wealth of tradition and beliefs each post has revealed to me. I've never heard of the tradition of weaving a cross and crown of thorns from the palms of Palm Sunday. Thanks for sharing the picture and your poem. Lovely!
    And the admonition you shared to live as children of light showing selfless love as Christ did is powerful.
    I hope you and your family had a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete