Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Surprise at Dawn

I woke to light cracking through the edges of the shades. While this is not unusual, I was tired and longed to continue my sleep. A lulling sound permeated the air. I was intrigued and slowly walked to the front door where the sweet sounds of birdsong were. Surprised, I stood listening to the dawn chorus, a cacophony of birdsong, from the trees in the wood facing my house. Since I recently heard of the phenomenon called the dawn chorus, I wanted to learn more. Luckily, I woke early on this first day of May, a peak time to enjoy the sweet essence of birdsong.

The dawn chorus is the singing of wild birds that closely precedes and follows sunrise, especially in the spring and summer. (Merriam-Webster Dictionary) 

Join me at the Dawn Chorus May Celebration

 

Nature video of the dawn chorus on May 1, 2023.

Are you interested in learning more about the Dawn Chorus? 

**********************

Engage in Student Fun Activities at a Wonder Station: 

  1. Check out the Wonderopolis Wonder of the Day, Who Sings in the Dawn Chorus
  2. Ask students to write a cinquain poem. See the sample above. Use the Cinquain Poem Generator as a template.
  3. Create a Word Art digital at https://wordart.com/. See the sample above the poem.
  4. Visit the Museum of Zoology here.
  • **********************
  • Join me at Two Writing Teachers for the Tuesday Slice of Life.

6 comments:

  1. Carol, what a beautiful way to greet the day. There is something soothing about resting in bed and hearing the chittering of birds. I always feel that they are sharing their plans for the day with their friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I like that thought, sharing their plans for the day with friends. Did I tell you that a mallard duck and partner are now walking from the pond down the street to our back yard daily. They are quite the pair but I never hear a sound from them.

      Delete
  2. Carol, that was me, Bob. Forgot to change the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, what a lovely concert you are able to listen to in the early mornings. Love "serendipity" and the video you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I woke up later today after dawn became morning and was sad that I did not hear the birds singing. I feel blessed that I heard the dawn chorus yesterday. I will need to wake up at dawn again to listen to the early morning seranade.

      Delete