Saturday, May 27, 2023

REMEMBER

This week life came full circle. Both a new birth and a passing from life occurred in my family. While contemplating how life meets at crossroads, I turned to poetry to let thoughts surface like spring blooms. Coincidentally, my friend Ramona Behnke wrote a post sharing Poet Laureate Joy Harjo's poem Remember. It touched me so much that it became a mentor text for a silent conversation poem between my 94-year-old uncle and me during his last days in hospice. Because I live in Virginia and he is in Central NY, I could not travel to his bedside. The poem became my way of honoring his life.

Joy Harjo has said, "Poetry is like singing on paper". I celebrate my Uncle John's life through verse with the hope that he is spiritually close by listening to the lines.


Remember. . .
Remember the beginning as your mother cradled you into this world.
Remember receiving your father's name.
Remember your patriotic duties during wartime.
Remember your return to civilian life and stepping into college and a new career.
Remember your flights around the globe.
Remember your devotion to family and faith.
Remember your heritage and the delicious meals your mother prepared.
Remember your challenges and joys.
Remember your independent spirit and your willingness to support others.
Remember your nimble fingers creating crosses made of palms.
Remember your niece holding your hand and your family sending thoughts and    
     prayers from a distance. 
Remember your brother and sisters who are waiting to embrace you in eternity.
Remember the Lord is with you in your silent moments.
Remember!
©CarolVarsalona, oldest niece, written during John's final days at Francis House, 2023

These poetic lines from Harjo's poem remind me of the immensity of the world, the possibilities it holds for each individual, and the celebration of life. 
Remember you are this universe and this
universe is you.
The above poem will be featured in my Uncle's funeral program and read by m eat the gravesite next week. Now, I offer this post for Poetry Friday at Patricia Franz's blog, Reverie. She is celebrating 40 years of marriage and sending Memorial Day weekend wishes to all. Thank you, Patricia for accepting my poetic offering so late.


My antique postcard above reminds me to fill this Memorial Day Weekend with praise for my uncle, a veteran of World War II who enlisted in the Marine Corps at a young age.

His memory and the memory of so many other veterans are remembered throughout this weekend. 

Patricia Franz invites the Poetry Friday community to enjoy some poetry-bathing this weekend. I look forward to reading other poet friends' poetic offerings.

HAPPY POETRY FRIDAY
and

27 comments:

  1. Condolences, Carol. Your beautiful poem will help relatives and friends remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the condolences, Mary Lee. I am working now to get the poem ready for the church program.

      Delete
  2. Embraces & new birth joy in the same moments. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, thank you for commenting. Life is really hectic now as I prepare for a trip to Central NY for the funeral. Poetry writing always helps me relieve stress.

      Delete
  3. Carol, you found beautiful words of comfort for both your uncle in his passing and for your family who walked with him. I love Harjo's "Remember". As part of National Poetry Month, the Mindfulness Poetry group from The Well, used that poem for a prompt. I'm still generating poems from that week. I think its power lies in the dual voice of speaking out (to others - an exhortation of sorts) and speaking within (personalizing a memory). That week, I approached it as "re- membering" - that is, becoming again. Thank you for sharing something so personal and close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, thanks for your ideas on how you used Harjo's poem. Personalizing a memory in a re-membering phase is interesting. I need to ponder that thought. I am almost finished reading everyone's PF post.

      Delete
  4. Carol- you have offered a beautiful poem about your uncle. Remembering certainly does honor someone's life.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous is me- Carol Labuzzetta at The Apples in My Orchard. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol, for your comment. The poem was important for me to write. I do wish I had time to read it to him before his death. I will read it at the burial for all to hear.

      Delete
  6. I dearly loved all my uncles. I'm sending hugs with my sympathies as you say goodbye to your Uncle John, Carol. Memories collected create a loving way to keep him close as well as honor him as you say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda, for your hugs and lovely thoughts. I look forward to being close to the spirits of my Nonnie, Aunt, Uncle, and Mother laid to rest on sacred ground. I will read my poem at the ending ceremony.

      Delete
    2. Linda, once again I tried to comment on last PF's post and could not. I just wanted you to know that I was there enjoying your words.

      Delete
  7. Carol, I am sorry about the loss of your uncle, and I love your poem. That's a wonderful celebration of a beloved person. One of my aunts died recently at 100, and she was the last of that generation on both sides of my family of origin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a strange feeling to have my mother's family no longer on this earth. On the upside, my uncle and mother are buried alongside my Nonnie. The sister and her husband are buried in the same cemetery. Only the other Uncle is buried in the mid-west. I am sorry for commenting so late.

      Delete
  8. Carol, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to your uncle, and I'm glad you'll get to share it as his service. That litany and repetition feels so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, thank you for sharing your condolences and thoughts for a peaceful service. We are driving to Central NY now. It's been a long day but the beautiful of the different states has nurtured my soul.

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss. This beautiful poem is such a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcie for your thoughts. I just finished a haiku as we travel to Central NY for the funeral. I thought of your beautiful close-up of nature haikus.

      Delete
  10. Carol, I'm so glad my post touched you at this significant time and you used Harjo's poem as a mentor text. It's amazing how connected we can feel through this community. Poetry is such a gift during all seasons of life. I'm glad that you'll get to share this poem at your uncle's service. Condolences in the loss of your dear uncle and congratulations as you've welcomed a new granddaughter. We'll look forward to hearing more about her arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, we are on our way home today and most likely will not get in until 8 or 9 tonight. I am trying to write my SJT post while my husband is driving. See you soon.

      Delete
  11. Carol, hugs...of joy for the new life and sorrow for your loss. What sacred ground you've been standing on. Thank you for marking it, blessing it with poetry. You are a good neice and Nona. Be well, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you for your response. Virtual hugs are appreciated. Sacred Ground-interesting thought! Thinking about that, we are staying at the Turning Stone Resort close by where my Uncle's funeral will be. I am hoping to indulge in the peaceful environment of the Oneida Indian Nation environment.

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry for your loss, Carol. What a beautiful way to say good-bye and pay tribute to your dear uncle. You succeeded in "singing on paper" and I'm sure your uncle loves this song in his honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you. The funeral ceremony was beautiful and peaceful. I was able to take some lovely photos of the setting and the Marine
      Corps detail that played taps and presented the family with a US flag. Hearing the beloved hymns brought of sense of spirituality to the day.

      Delete
  13. I'm so sorry for your loss, Carol. Your poem is a lovely remembrance in itself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lou. I did get some compliments from those who came to the funeral and that made me feel better since I did not have a change to read it to my Uncle before his passing.

      Delete