Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Watching In Awe and Wondering

This time of year, my thoughts turn to autumn. I do love this season, especially when the colorful leaves twirl and dance as the wind kicks up. We had one of those raining, wind-filled days in Long Island today. I was driving along the parkway watching the leaves parade before my eyes. If I could have stopped the car, I would have taken out my camera and notebook to reflect upon what I saw. Instead, I watched in awe of nature's autumnal dance and wondered what would come next. 

Then, suddenly, I recalled an amazing sight from last summer when I visited my grandbaby in Virginia. That day, too, I watched in silence, transfixed on a sight. My iPhone was not near me so I could not record what I saw. I had to rely on memory. I stood quietly in awe of an uncommon backyard scene for me but an ordinary occurrence in my daughter and son-in-law's neighborhood. I captured the happening in a poem. 

In pensive stillness,
she stood.
From the window 
I watched.
She came in peace,
baby does
not in sight.
Quietly,
she moved 
behind trees,
careful to hide 
her caramel silhouette.
Creative Commons Photo
Gazing 
into the silence,
as if with 
forethought,
she communed 
with nature.
Morning light
caught her eye.
She delicately
passed on by.
©Carol Varsalona, 2107

🍀🍁🍂🍃🍀🍁🍂🍃

I often notice and wonder about natural occurrences
as if they were first sightings. 
Do you? 

🍀🍁🍂🍃🍀🍁🍂🍃

The above poem was sent to a Poetry Friday colleague, Buffy Silverman, for the Summer Poem Swap.  Buffy is an amazing photographer, poet, and children's writer.  Her website is filled with many delights. I especially like Buffy's face page with the following thought: "Much of my writing is inspired by my curiosity about nature. I'm lucky to live near a woods and lake, where there's always something new to observe. But no matter where you live, you can discover nature right outside your door." 

Buffy offered the following poem and digital for my fall gallery, Autumn Ablaze.

I combined Buffy's text and photo to create an #imagepoem.

🍀🍁🍂🍃🍀🍁🍂🍃


It is Slice of Life Tuesday at Two Writing Teachers so I am heading over there now to submit my writing for #sol17.
screen-shot-2017-03-14-at-1-30-42-pm15

No comments:

Post a Comment