Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Poems of Presence

The practice of writing poetry is an exercise in mindfulness. To be open to the universe of words and to put them down on a page is nothing short of a miracle. - Margaret Simon

At the start of May, there is always an urgency for me to explore what nature has to offer. This year, quarantine life left Long Islanders longing for the joy of a sunny day, the exploration of sandy beaches, and the call of the gulls. When newspaper headlines stated, "LIers flock to state beaches, parks amid warm weather," my husband decided to hop in the car with his mask and head to the beach. Wanting to be present with the sea once again, my son and I joined him. As we traveled to Jones Beach State Park, I noticed the clear waterway sparkling like diamonds. It was uplifting but as we turned into the park entrance, I was alarmed by the number of cars gathering. We did not stay there because social distancing appeared not to be regarded. Instead, we traveled to the next beach town. Along the way, we saw at least 40 people on a line waiting (six feet away from each other) for the ice cream store to open. Our short stay at the next beach in Long Beach, allowed me to briefly satisfy my urge to be present in a moment of joy. On that sandy beach, I felt the sunshine, listened to the roaring waves and watched seagulls dive and swoop as scavengers of life. I communed with nature, the ever-present healer, and gave thanks for a few moments of relaxation during my quarantine life.


This past week, some poet friends were writing epistolary poems or letter poems so I decided to write one also.

On May 1, 2020, at Today's Little Ditty, Michelle H. Barnes spotlighted Margaret SimonMichelle asked Margaret to choose the month of May's Ditty of the Month challenge. She chose poems of presence with this prompt: write a mindful poem about the present moment and add it to the DMC padlet. I am offering the above poems, hoping for feedback. These poems will be added to my #NatureNurtures 2020 Gallery.



I am also joining Two Writing Teachers today for their Slice of Life Tuesday.  

14 comments:

  1. Although we are subject to social distancing (six feet away from each other) nature reminds us of what we had and will have once again (seagulls dive). Given time, nature will heal our minds and spirits. We must let ourselves be open to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely comment. May I place these lines in my #NatureNurtures Gallery from you: "Given time, nature will heal our minds and spirits. We must let ourselves be open to it."-arjeha

      Delete
    2. Carol, feel free to use them. ~Bob

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you had an opportunity to reconnect with your beloved beach, Carol, albeit briefly. I love all the sensory-rich detail in your letter poem. Thanks so much for adding these poems to the padlet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, the prompt is a worthy one and I am so happy that I did have a few moments of reconnection. I want to thank you for the retweet and these comments here.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing this, Carol. It feels good to get outside to a spot that you love. I currently live in the mountains, which has its own allure, but I miss the beach and the sound of the waves. I like the letter you wrote to the sand. I may just steal this idea to write a letter to the mountains! Enjoy!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Elisa. If you write an epistolary poem to the mountains, please send me the link so I can read it.

      Delete
  3. I can relate to beach walking and welcoming nature with mindfulness. Thanks for taking the prompt and promoting the hashtag. I hope I can get to the beach this summer. We'll see, my mantra these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, thanks for being ever present and bringing us the prompt, #PoemsofPresence. During my walk today, I spent time looking more closely at nature's spots I pass each day.

      Delete
  4. Your poem is a lovely letter to sand. Wonderful alliteration that matches the ethereal calmness of the beach. In such stressful times we need more nature. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glenda. Ethereal calmness is a beautiful set of words to describe what the beach offers. Please take part in my #NatureNurtures2020 Gallery. I would love to showcase one of your creations.

      Delete
  5. While I am not very near a beach, I have always found that to be my happy place and where I can connect with the rhythm of my soul. I felt like you took me there, if only for a few minutes, today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts. Connecting with our happy spot is especially important during these trying times. I am glad that my post provided you with a few relaxing moments.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for taking me into the moment on the beach. It was good for my soul, too. I'm intrigued by your project #NatureNurtures. It sounds lovely. I'm happy to read your words.

    ReplyDelete