Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Homeowner's Dilemma

The darkness of the night surrounds. There is peace in its quiet. I am grateful for the time just to sit and be still after the long day of inside and outside homeowners' issues. The lull of the air conditioner allows for a transition to semi-sleep but I wake several times during the night thinking of the undone tasks waiting for me. 

Earlier in the afternoon, my gardener responded to my SOS call. Over the weekend, I was surprised to find that the expensive serpentine tree transplanted to the front garden had lost its leaves. When my gardener came to my rescue he just stared at the tree. I gasped, "Is it dying?" He calmly replied, "Let's just wait a week and see if the tree is just in shock." SHOCK is what I was in. After I blurted out the inside problem, Matt assured me that the tree is minor compared to the inside house issue.


Just prior to the gardener's arrival, I had a visit from the remodeling crew. My husband and I have been trying to uncover the cause of a leak in the corner wall in my laundry room for over a year. We have had several service people come in and there has been no definitive answer until this visit. Luckily for me, the gentleman found the culprit, a caste iron wasteline pipe. Of course, not knowing the immensity of the problem, I asked how does that get fixed. "With caution. These pipes are very heavy and are part of the structure of the house. Experts are needed." Well that leaves me out and so my husband and I turned to my insurance agent who advised me to call his expert plumber. 


I sit here in the quiet of the morning light, waiting for my day to unfold-breathing in and breathing out-grateful that there are "experts" to handle inside and outside homeowner's issues. 


"When life hands you lemons, turn them into lemonade."



Today's Slice of Life is being offered to Two Writing Teachers.
You can access the site to read more slice here.

No comments:

Post a Comment