Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Instructions For My Digital Notebook

When Michelle Heidenrich Barnes invited Liz Steinglass to Today's Little Ditty, an intriguing ditty challenge evolved. One of Liz's favorite poems, "Instructions for the Field", in her new book, Soccerversebecame the mentor text for the project.  For the writing challenge, each writer was asked to write a poem giving instructions to an inanimate object about how to do its job.

Since I am designing several digital galleries of artistic expressions, I decided to write a poem about an interactive digital notebook. My digital notebook in Google Docs is a companion piece to my poetry journals. It is my sacred space to record thoughts, add images, and create digital inspirations as a risk taker of thought. It is the place where I ponder, reflect, and "find my voice". Because it is an important part of my writing life, I have created templates for other writers to hone their writing skills during professional development.

Stage 1: Create the poem after many drafts in my digital notebook. 



Stage 2: Create a digital inspiration, an image poem, to add a different perspective.  I decided to change the name of the title and add one of my nature photos as a signature logo.

Digital Tools Used: 
Google Docs-Interactive Digital Notebook, Blogger, FotoJet, PicMonkey, iPhone, iPhotos, Preview

Question:
Do I keep the simple design in pink or the swirled background digital inspiration with the signature logo to submit to the challenge?
Not only will I offer this post and poem to Michelle Heidenrich Barnes' challenge at her May 2019 Padlet but add it to the Tuesday Slice of Life at Two Writing Teachers.

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic post and poem, Carol! I especially relate to "...don't become upset with messy entries [in your] sacred space." While I haven't yet entered the digital age when it comes to journaling, I love beautiful journals I can hold in my hand. That said, I don't use them much because I'm too worried about messing them up! I tend to write in junky, plain spiral notebooks instead, often "handed down" by my children from past school years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Michelle. I often write on scraps of paper when I am away from my desk. I feel very disorganized these days (if you saw my desk you would understand). Digital Notebooks are the place for me to draft, redo, and feel like I can chicken scratch without worry since the type disappears as soon as I want it to. Thanks for such a fun challenge that had me really thinking.

      Delete
  2. This is an interesting task. I can't remember hearing of it before. I agree that the advice for a notebook to be supportive and understanding is very important. I prefer the simple pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The challenge is open during May so you still have time to try it or ask students to do so. Thanks for being my long-distance writing friend.

      Delete
  3. This is so interesting. During our Poetry Unit my students turned in all their work online. It was great to work this way as revision and improvement became easier as was feedback. Adding poems to padlet or wakelet would be a great addition for students to share each others poetry. I always learn so much from you Carol! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaana, thank you for stopping by. Padlets are wonderful ways for students to collaborate with each other. They are also great ways for students to be enticed into further reading. Google Docs can be used as well.

      Delete
  4. Wao, Guys here I want to share this font site. That will help you to create digital work'

    Royalty Free Fonts

    ReplyDelete