Thursday, May 30, 2019

Naomi Shihab Nye-Themed Roundup

Welcome, it's a Naomi Shihab Nye-themed roundup at Mary Lee Hahn's blog site this week. Did you know that Naomi has been named the Young People's Poet Laureate for 2019--2021 by Poetry Foundation?  Today, I dedicate my post in honor of Naomi, the amazing poet whose soulful heart and creative talent weaves words that dig deep into emotions. 



In preparing for this post, I read Naomi Shihab's poem, Famous, many times. Its simple repetition and depth of message in the final stanza resonated with me.

I want to be famous in the way a pulley is famous

or a buttonhole, not because it did anything spectacular,
but because it never forgot what it could do. 

I watched the video rendition of the poem here and then, thinking of my granddaughter who is celebrating her 2nd birthday in two weeks, I wrote.

My Grandma Wish 

I want to be famous in the eyes of a child,
who knows me by name, not because I did anything spectacular,
but because I never forget what being a grandma means. 
©CV, 2019

I used Naomi Shihab Nye's poem, Burning the Old Year, as a mentor text to write a birthday poem for my little Sierra Kathryn.




Remembering Early Years

Photos flash in chronological order.
Comments written on digital screens,
jubilant baby smiles,
rise like beach gulls,
soaring into year two.

So much of beginning life is remembered,
videos of first attempts, cherished toys.
Pink and perky milestones,
so little is a lost memory.

Where there was babyhood and suddenly isn't,
a babble of words flows, celebrates, fills the space.
I begin again witnessing wonders of grandbaby life.

Only the things I didn't do,
the moments I wasn't there,
Remind me to savor your childhood.
©CVarsalona, June 2019, Sierra Kathryn's 2nd Birthday

Now I am off to celebrate Naomi Shihab Nye-themed poetry at the Poetry Friday Roundup that Mary Lee Hahn is hosting.  


Notes:
-A previous blog post on Sierra Kathryn, is at Grandma Wishes.
-Please check out my invitation to salute spring, a creative challenge for the upcoming Spring Splendor Gallery that I posted last week. I would be delighted to have my Poetry Friday friends offer a digital inspiration on springtime. (Deadline: June 13th)

21 comments:

  1. Carol, what a celebration! The video was tremendously moving and I have no doubt that you will be famous as Grandmother. Oh, that line..."where there was babyhood and suddenly isn't" is sooooooooo true. I'm glad you have chosen to remember and save the moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me here, Linda. I will be in Reston, Virginia in two weekends to celebrate Sierra's end birthday. One of these trips I have to meet up with you. I remember when I first learned I was a grandmother. What a great feeling it is.

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a lovely kind of fame to aspire to! I know you'll achieve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by to share my NSN poems on my sweet little granddaughter. I plan on placing these in a card for her birthday.

      Delete
  3. Both poems are lovely, Carol, but that first one, oh, wow! "but because I never forget what being a grandma means". Yes, that is my kind of famous, too. Happy Early Birthday to sweet Sierra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for commenting and being the wonderful grandma that you are. I think back on all of the wisdom of the grandmas I know and am grateful that I am surrounded by such a wonderful and strong group of women who understands what it means to be a grandma. My mother and grandmother were the best examples I could have in my life. Thank you also for wishing little Sierra an early birthday greetings.

      Delete
  4. I love how you used this week's theme (thank you, Tabatha for the idea!!) to find inspiration for your granddaughter's birthday poems. What a lucky girl she is to have a literary grandma who chronicles her growth with poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lee, I must admit that these poems took a lot of love and patience to turn them into what I am sharing. In trying to keep to NSN's format I had to rework my words many times to keep a flow to words that surfaced. Thank you for sharing my joy with me this week and yes, a big thanks to Tabatha for inspiring the pathway to these poems.

      Delete
  5. Carol, as a fellow Nana, I share your "Wish". So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Grandma's seem to have similar mindsets when it comes to our grandkids, Kimberly. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I love how you used Naomi's poems as mentor texts for poems about your granddaughter and your role as her grandmother. I'm learning there is nothing so joyful as this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I knew that grandmotherhood would suit you. May Little Leo continue to bring you constant joy.

      Delete
  7. Dear Carol, this is a beautiful kind of famous for sure! I love the haiku and the NSN inspired poem... someday Sierra Kathryn will read them and know without doubt she's been lovedlovedloved. Btw, what a CUTIE! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww....what a lucky grandbaby to have a special grandma write such poems for her. I loved the interplay between Naomi's mentor text and your responses. And Sierra is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. I can’t believe she’s almost two! And how lucky for her to have this poem and I imagine others from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your grandmother poem resonates deeply with me as I have two grandchildren who will also be two in a couple of weeks. Everything about them, even when they squabble as they have learned to do, is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing that gorgeous and sensitive video of Nye's poem "Famous." Your "Remembering Early Years" is a beautiful recollection and tribute to your granddaughter Carol, thanks also for all here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so beautiful, Carol! Wrapped up in Grandma's love and delivered with a bow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you posted the link to this post yesterday on Twitter.
    I adore Nye's work. I always use Burning the New year in January. I love Gate A4 too.

    Thanks for your amazing work!

    https://medium.com/@tammybreitweiser

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww....love your grandma poems, Carol. How blessed you are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Late to the celebration, but I love "Remembering Early Years" and Sierra's gorgeous black and white photo. They grown up so fast! Here's my favorite line - "a babble of words flows, celebrates, fills the space."
    Nothing's better than being a grandma, Carol!

    ReplyDelete