Sunday, August 16, 2015

Digital Expressions

Whew! I just learned about a new digital tool and of course, I decided to try it out. With any new resource it takes time to acquaint myself. A feeling of discomfort creeps up and then a quick thought. Should I continue or just resort to my old tools? Isn't this what our learners think as well? Do we provide choice and a safe surrounding for our learners to be risk-takers? Do we support them in their digilit journey?

In my case, I had models, tutorials, and a brief window of time to try out a new tool. I explored the resource, gathered my photos and artistic expressions, and went to work but I did not have anyone to lead me through the steps to create. I had to problem solve, revisit, and fumble through many rough drafts alone. The delete button was my friend. I would have been much happier if I had a live teacher in front of me guiding my way.

Here are the steps I took to create my first SWAY presentation, Summer Day Rhapsody. Clearly what I am showing is the first draft of a digital project. 

STEPS:
I gathered two ideas that I tweeted out during #Spiritchat this morning. 







I opened a few photos that I wanted to use.

 A serene sight at the South Hampton Winery
A beautiful sight from Cape May
An invitation


















I got acquainted with the Sway dashboard
after reviewing some videos.

I created my first presentation with Sway. You can view Summer Day Rhapsody here. Click on the play button and scroll down. 


POST-CREATION:
After I created the above, I found a blog post with a video that would have been helpful before I began this new digital journey.

I asked for feedback from my husband. Of course, I would like thoughts by those who view this blog.

I resorted to a favorite tool, PicMonkey, to create a new digital expression.


ADVICE:
When sharing a new tool with learners make sure that you introduce a simplistic set of directions while keeping the enthusiasm high. Create collaborative groups to try out the new tool together. 

FINAL THOUGHT:
Digital expressions are wonderful mixes of art, design, technology, and literacy. Creating allows for voice to rise. Enjoy the process.

PLEASE VISIT:
Please use this button on your site for DigiLit Sunday postsDigiLit Sunday hosted by Margaret Simon where you find ideas on ways my colleagues explore the digital world. 




#reflect31 the brainchild of Laura Grundler where the artistic digital expressions are happening daily for 31 days. I am offering my blog post and video as part of Day 16's challenge, Transition and Metamorphosis. Original photographs and tweets were transformed into a digital expression and sent out with wings into the Twittersphere. 

#reflect31 Day 16

No comments:

Post a Comment