Friday, March 29, 2024

The Easter Triduum

Last night started the Sacred Tridum, a solemn three-day period leading to Easter Sunday. These final days of Lent are honored by my family each year. I offer a sigo poem from today's Good Friday service,  7 Last Words.

A sigo consists of three lines of 14-16 syllables each. Each line contains a pause near the middle. The first half of the line contains six to nine syllables; the second half should contain no fewer that five syllables. The first line introduces an idea or story, the second supplies a turn, and the third provides closure.  
 The Sacred Tridumm
Disciples gathered at the Lord's supper unaware
treachery brewed within, scourging, crowning with thorns, crucifixion
until Resurrection Sunday when a miracle evolved.
Draft©CVarsalona, March 2024, sigo

icon written by Julia Stankova

gathering of friends

sleeping not waiting
as requested

do we also not listen
not hear spoken words
time to awaken and renew commitment
©CVarsalona, March 2024, cherita

Thank you arjeha, aka Bob Hamera, for suggesting a sijo poem. 


Day 29. The month-long writing challenge is nearing an end. I am delighted to have met new slicers while chatting with writers who have become friends.

4 comments:

  1. Carol, so glad you tried this form. I love your poem. It beautifully sums up what happened so many years ago on these three most holy days. Wishing you and your family a happy and blessed Easter. Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I added in the word miracle based on your SJT theme. I must admit that I had a difficult time trying to write the sijo. I tried out different lines so many times. Then, I decided to write the cherita to slow me down and make me think. I turned on the movie, The Passion, and watched with such sorrow the Crucifixion scene. It made me shudder like it always does. Tomorrow, will be a joyous resurrection. Happy Easter Wishes to you and Kathy.

      Delete
  2. "treachery brewed within, scourging" is absolute art

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Akilah, for stopping by to read my slice and comment.

      Delete